Chapter 5

Brandon closed the diary after we read that. I tried to focus and work on my essay that was due in two days but I couldn't. I couldn't focus on anything. 

Well, anything other than Maya.

It felt so wrong. To be reading her diary that was supposed to be private. If she were here she would be able to stop me but she's not and she can't. She wouldn't want me reading her private journal, and i'm sure if she were still here she would stop me. She would walk into the room and see me reading it, she would get mad as she usual does. Her cheeks would turn red, her eyebrows would crinkle. She wouldn't say anything, she would simply walk up and take her diary and leave. She wouldn't try to get into an argument, Maya wasn't like that. She would simply take it and leave, not wasting her time with an argument that wouldn't help anything. She knew I wouldn't take it again, that her silent statement would be enough to stop me from doing it again. She wouldn't want me reading her diary,

But she's not here to stop me...

I try to assure myself that it's okay. I try to justify it. They're all pretty stupid reasons, but reasons nonetheless. I know I shouldn't have kept reading it, but I did. It was rude and it was selfish because I know she wouldn't want me to. But I thought about the small chance that her diary could give me clues as to who killed her. I would do anything to know who did it, just a sort of closure. To see them in jail, something done to them to punish them for taking my sister away. The thought of them sitting in jail for the rest of their lives gives me peace at mind, and allows me to focus and work on my project.

I had been working for around 2 hours when at 2:00 am I heard a knock at my door. Brandon was fast asleep. I crept up to the door and looked through the peephole, and saw a short girl, maybe 5'4". She had short blonde hair, sitting right above her shoulders. She had bright blue eyes. I recognized her from somewhere but I didn't know where... She stood there, looking down and behind her. I soon realized I had just been staring at her for maybe a minute when she began to leave. I quickly opened the door and awkwardly stumbled out of it. She turned her head and began walking back until she stopped in front of me, looking up slightly.

"Hi, i'm Ella..." She said quietly, "I live in the dorm under you. My puppy escaped, have you seen him?" She said, and I knew she was lying because our dorms didn't allow pets, and they check constantly, but I went along with it.

"I apologize, I haven't seen any dogs, what does he look like?" I asked, attempting not to smile, knowing she wasn't actually looking for her dog.

"Oh... Well he's um..." She stuttered.

I remembered then where I knew her from. She was in my Essentials of Accounting class that I was required to take.

"You're not really looking for your dog, are you?" I said as I could feel a smile begin to play on my lips. She blushed and looked down.

"Okay, maybe I just wanted to talk to you... You seemed nice and you're in my Essentials of Accounting class..."

Called it.

I laughed, "Hey do you want to go for a walk?"

"But it's 2 am" She said, surprised and confused.

"So?" I said and began walking out the door. She followed.

We walked outside in the community park. The conversation started off light, we laughed at how we didn't like our professor, how we decided on this college. The conversation went on and on, it seemed like we couldn't stop finding things to talk about. Before we knew it we had been talking for 3 hours and the sun started to come up. We were sitting on a bench, not caring that we would be late to class. We didn't care that our roommates would be worried about where we were. 

We didn't have a care in the world as we sat in silence, watching the sun rise.