Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"I'm sorry?" I gape at her. "Did you just say he's trying to woo me?"

"Yes!" She nods earnestly.

"No." I laugh a little. "No, no, no. He's not."

"What do you mean?" She deflates a little, frowning at me. "Of course he is!"

"No, he's really not." I shake my head, still laughing. "If he was, would he kiss me and then completely disappear?"

"He kissed you?!" Calla shrieks at the top of her lungs.

"Shush!" I hiss, waving my hands around in the air.

"He kissed you?" Calla repeats, lowering her voice to a loud whisper. She widens her eyes at me, throwing her arms up in the air. "When did he kiss you?!"

"When we got back from Naples, but what difference does that make?" I exclaim.

"It makes all the difference Evie!" She insists, nodding her head. "It just proves that he's trying to woo you!"

"Calla, nobody has used that word since... well, you died." I snort, and she gives me a look. "Besides which, he's not wooing me!"

"How do you know that?"

"Because right after he kissed me he completely disappeared! I'm not exactly convinced that's how you 'woo' someone Cal."

"Yes, but then he sent you this dress, and that note!"

"Sending me a dress and a note isn't exactly that romantic." I reply wryly.

"But you love his notes!"

"Have you seen this note?" I wave it in her face. "Not romantic."

"Yes, but the idea behind it is romantic!" She argues, hitting me.

"I don't want to sound petty, but I'm still kind of stuck up on the whole mixed signals thing Calla."

"I know, but have you considered that maybe this is his way of apologising?" She points out.

I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. "Well..."

"Of course you didn't." She leans past me to pick the dress up and holds it up in front of me, wiggling it slightly. "And you won't know until you go meet him!"

"Calla, the world is kind of ending. I don't know if I have the time to play dress up and meet Hades for whatever it is he has planned."

"Evie, the world is not going to end in the next few hours. You can afford to spend some time with Hades, especially if he's trying to woo you!"

"Would you stop saying 'woo'?" I laugh. "He's not trying to woo me!"

"Evie Mae Autumn, you stop this right now!" She steps forward, pointing her finger in my face and eyeballing me. "You have been devastated the last two months because he's been ignoring you, and now that he's actually showing interest in you, you completely deny it? What's with you?!"

"Um..." I blink at her, shocked by her forwardness.

"No! You are going to stop complaining, you are going to put this pretty dress on, and you are going to go and meet up with that fiance of yours!" She shoves the dress in my arms - albeit, still delicately, which I find quietly hilarious - and pushes me towards the bathroom. "Because you are going to take any opportunity you can with Hades, remember?"

"Well-"

"No! That was a rhetorical question! Go put the dress on!" Calla keeps pushing me until I'm standing in the doorway of the bathroom. "Now!"