Chapter Thirty: Tidal pools

Start from the beginning

Jordan led the way to a ring of driftwood logs that had obviously been used at parties before. There was a fire circle already in place, filled with black ashes. Everyone went out in pairs looking for broken branches of driftwood from the forest edge, and they soon had a teepee shaped construction built atop the ashes using everyone but Kendra and Ethan's contributions, since the pair had yet to return.

Cordelia sat on one of the bone-coloured benches chatting with Hailey, occasionally glancing at Cal through the flames, while he talked about soccer with Rafael and Jordan.

Being near Cal and fire reminded Cordelia of the night she'd first discovered magic, and of the flame that had danced in his palm.

Hailey brought Cordelia back to the present when she said, "I cannot believe the two of you are dating. Not that I don't think you should. I think the opposite. You guys are really cute together," in her usual fast-paced delivery.

"So what happened with all that wiccan stuff?" Hailey continued, innocently enough, though Cordelia knew Hailey well enough after twelve years of friendship to know that Hailey was dying to know.

"Cal never intended to start a coven or anything. He just wanted to share something cool and new with people." Cordelia lied easily.

She couldn't be sure it was a complete lie, but it definitely wasn't the complete truth. She now knew it had been an attempt to help stir up her memories and magic.

Kendra and Ethan rejoined the group later on, and Cordelia noticed a flush in both of their faces, as well as a twig in Kendra's hair. She made a mental note to bring it up later and tease Kendra.

After a half hour of chatter, Mike wanted to take Gia to see the nearby tidal pools, and Cordelia decided Cal needed to see them. If he really wanted to belong in Willow Creek, he needed to have see the tidal pools at least once, she decided.

The tidal pools had fascinated her when she was a child, but she had had a bad habit of falling into them...alot.

So she went around the bonfire to give Cal's hand a tug to tell him they were going. He didn't question anything, and wordlessly followed Cordelia as they caught up with Mike and Gia.

The hike wasn't too long, but she had to watch every step she took very carefully, avoiding roots and branches, before they finally left the green forest behind in favour of the rocky shore. It was low tide and a tidal river flowed past them on it's way to the sea. Along its pebbled banks, shallow pools were teeming with life. Cordelia was very careful not to lean too far over the little ocean ponds, but Mike didn't have the same concerns. He leaped over rocks, and perched precariously on the edges to show off for Gia who thought everything that came out of his mouth was hilarious.

Cal didn't share Mike's urge to impress, so he stuck with Cordelia and together they found one of the largest pools, and cautiously sat dosn on a rock on it's fringe. They watched the natural aquarium below in captivation without exchanging a word, until Mike and Gia returned and Cordelia realised she was hungry, so she got off her butt and the four of them returned to the bonfire.

The food was already being passed around, and the quartet hurried to claim a share. While they ate, the sky started to blush, and people started to drift away in twos and threes. Some tried to skip rocks, others made a trip to the tide pools, giving Cordelia some alone time with Cal.