Chapter Nine: The Party

It was Friday night; the night of the party. And what was Cordelia doing? What she always did of course!

She lay on the couch, with Kendra's head on her shoulder, as they watched Gilmore Girls with cookie dough, popcorn, licorice, and gummy bears spread out on the coffee table.

Usually, Cordelia looked forward to her Friday night sleepovers with Kendra. They had been tradition since they were eleven. But tonight, Cordelia wasn't thinking about Gilmore Girls and pizza. She was thinking about Cal and his party.

He had texted her earlier with the adress of the party.

Hey it's Cal. I know you said parties aren't your thing, but in case you change your mind here's the adress. Hope to see you!

She had memorised the text.

And she yearned to go to the party. But what would she say to Kendra? "Oh yeah by the way, I'd rather go to a guy I don't know's party than hang out with you." ?

As Cordelia schemed how to get to the party without hurting Kendra's feelings, and Rory cried over yet another breakup, Kendra was the one to bring up the party, surprisingly.

"So..." She began, reaching into the bowl of popcorn for another helping. "Cal's party is tonight..." She said nonchalantly.

"Uh huh." Cordelia answered stupidly.

"Did you...maybe...wanna go?" Kendra asked with painful awkwardness, her chocolate brown eyes on the screen.

Cordelia whipped around to face her best friend so fast, she was afraid she'd gotten whiplash, but then to not seem too eager she said, "I don't know...maybe..." She shrugged, "Do you?" She asked.

"I mean...maybe...that could be cool..." Kendra shrugged, facing Cordelia, before her nonchalant facade cracked and Kendra grinned. "Totally." She admitted.

"Me too!" Cordelia cried, causing the pair to simultaneously, leap off the couch and sprint upstairs.

"Cordieeeeee." Kendra whined, "Can I borrow those knee high boots?" She asked, as she riffled through Cordelia's closet. "Those are your boots Ken." Cordelia reminded her, as she stood in front of the vanity, applying a coat of mascara.

Ten minutes later, Cordelia stood in front of a full length mirror wearing a simple loose long sleeved black dress that reached her thighs, paired with combat boots and a leather jacket, an ensemble picked out by Cordelia's stylist, a.k.a. Kendra.

Kendra meanwhile, wore a jean jumper, a blazer, and knee high boots, all but the boots courtesy of Cordelia's closet.

They printed out the directions to the party, told Cordelia's parents they were going out bowling with Ethan and the gang, and got into the Jeep.

Kendra climbed inthe side, and they waved goodbye to Malcom, who was putting out the trash. "Drive safe sweetheart!" He called.

Cordelia started the engine, and glanced out her window at the sky. The waning moon was a thin, sharp crescent.

"I can't believe I let you talk me into lying to my parents." Cordelia sighed, as she turned onto Riverdale Drive.

Kendra scoffed, "I can't believe you thought your mother, a cop, would even consider letting you go to a party."