Chapter 4

"Anika..." The sound of my name pulled me out of my sleep and I rolled over.

"Anika, time to wake up." I pulled my pillow over my ears and mumbled something even I couldn't understand. Cold air rushed over my body as the sheets were pulled from my bed. I grappled aimlessly for the covering without opening my eyes, refusing to fully wake up.

"Come on, girl. Everyone's leaving so they can clean and store the ship."

I reluctantly rolled back over and opened my eyes. Tira looked down at me with a small bag slung over her shoulder and a rather motherly expression on her face. She cocked her head towards the open door and I could see dozens of soldiers walking past. The occasional chuckle reached my ears as those passing would peak into the room and find amusement at my groggy state. I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at them.

With a sigh, I stretched out from my fetal position on the bed and sat up. I gave Tira a look that said "you happy?" and raised my arms. She shook her head.

"All the way up. If I've learned one thing about you in these past two years, it's that you are not a morning person." She shifted her weight to one hip to make it clear she was waiting until I was completely out of bed.

I let out another whining sigh before standing up. "What are these "morning people" you speak of? I think I'd rather face another tyron than one of them."

Tira laughed as I gathered my few personal items and stuffed them in a bag similar to hers. We quickly joined the other soldiers, merging and flowing together like a school of fish. There was a sense of excitement and relief that traveled through the group as we made our way to the exit. Even though we weren't coming back as victors, everyone was happy to be home. We slowed as the cordial spilled into the loading dock. Soldiers pressed against each other as they tried to push towards the large doors that would soon be opened. This ship had been our home for the last six months, and we were all anxious to step foot on solid ground again without getting shot at.

A metallic screeched echoed through the chamber as the doors began to open. The bright, florescent lights flooded the ship and I squinted to see through the temporary blindness as my eyes adjusted. The doors stopped with a resounding thud and the crowd started to move forward. Tyra and I were pushed forward by the few others behind us. We were all eager to be off the ship.

I looked up as we passed the open doors and scanned the familiar metal structure that I called home. The massive rectangular compound housed most of the Space Sailor squadrons as well as the communication center and a hospital. It was one of several Rebellion bases scattered across the galaxy, although this was one of the largest. I could see the skylight our ship had passed through closing, giving me a small glimpse of the night sky. During the day, there would be several of them open to allow in natural sunlight and warmth, but there was no rest for the weary, and so the building was lit with artificial light at night. Smaller vehicles flew closer to the distant ceiling, casting odd shadows across the buildings on the ground.

I took a deep breath in and adjusted the pack on my shoulder. My gaze shifted to the long road that led to my housing quarters. By the time I reached my building, which happened to be situated conveniently on the other side of the base, my feet ached from falling heavily on the concrete floor. I swiped my wrist absentmindedly over the scanner and shuffled inside. The small room held a set of bunkbeds mounted to the wall and a single desk in the corner. A door at the back led to a communal bathroom that sat in the center of a ring of rooms just like this one. I tossed my bag onto the top bunk and climbed up groggily. Tyra was probably out mingling and catching up with old friends that didn't join us on the mission. I knew there would be plenty of time for that later, although the concept of talking for hours on end about meaningless subjects didn't exactly appeal to me.

With a grunt, I fell back onto the bed and closed my eyes. Thankful for what few friends I had, the safety of the compound, and most of all, sleep.

*Author's Note*

Hey guys, I'm sorry this chapter is a little shorter than the rest. I will probably be adding a little more to it before publishing the next chapter. I am working on finishing up my other story "Once An Assassin." After I finishing that one, I will be focusing on this one next. Thank you!

*Last updated March 30, 2020*