Chapter 1 - A New Life

Matthew sat in his new house, his new chair, looking out his new window, pondering life.

He knew his past well. He was just a smarter-than-your-average-bear type guy who grew up in Ohio. He remembered so much from his past, from hosting the high school talent show to being in a very competitive show choir.

But if he could remember all that, why was he missing gigantic parts of his memory? Why did people on the street stop and give him their condolences? No one that he knew died. Why was it that when he saw his parents, they would accidentally mention a wedding, and quickly change the subject?

He wanted to get away from it. He wanted to get away from the sympathetic glances, the awkward small talk, and mostly, away from Nate's sudden change in attitude.

"What is wrong with you?!" He yelled.

"I dont get it! Why are you so angry?" Matt ducked to avoid the flying mug that Nate had thrown.

"Is this what you've done?! Is THIS what she means to you?! She gave her life to save us, and this is how you repay her? By blocking her out of your mind?!" Nate was going crazy. Matt made his way to the front door, trying not to trigger Nate again.

"How long does it take to COMPLETELY FORGET your wife?!" Nate yelled.

"For the last time, I don't have a wife! I never did!" And with that, Matt slammed the door behind him.

He hadn't seen Nate that day, but he allways thought about what Nate said. Going on like a maniac about "the red room," and "His wife." He never had a wife, those things never happened to him.

At least, he couldn't remember it.