Take my picture? - P.16

Despite her shock of seeing you wet and in a strange outfit outside of her second story window, Nancy wasted no time helping you into the safety of her bedroom as she scrambled around finding dry clothes that would fit you comfortably. The lights in her bedroom remained off for fear that someone in her family would be using the restroom or in need of a glass of water and would notice another person awake. You desperately tried to control your wild breathing knowing that the drop of a pin could be heard in the extreme silence of the sleeping household.

"Here" she whispered handing you what looked to be a yellow pair of pajamas that were extremely similar to the light blue ones she had been wearing. They weren't exactly your style though in this moment it was hard to complain.

"Thank you." you whispered back as you began to strip off the now wet clothes that Jonathan had given you. It was be a challenge to wash and dry them without your parents noticing in order to return them but you knew you didn't really have a choice in the matter.

The yellow top and matching pants fit surprisingly well. Nancy had immediately given you a hair tie to pull back your damp hair and keep it out of your face.

"Are you okay? Is someone after you?" she asked in a quiet voice once you were fully settled in for the rest of the night taking a place beside her on the bed. "You can tell me if you're in trouble."

"N-no I'm fine." you told her in an equally low voice. "Um...I was spending the night at Jonathan's house and..."

"You were? What's happened?" she asked interrupting you clearly in shock about what she was hearing. As far as she knew you and Jonathan never exchanged a single word.

"It was fine. Nothing, ya know, happened like that." you stressed. "But his mom came home after we were asleep and someone called on the phone. I think it might have been Will. She started screaming and it woke us up. Jonathan ran out to see what was going on so I crawled out the window and ran."

"That sounds crazy but I honestly would have done the same thing." she replied after a moment of silence letting your words sink in. "I'm assuming you didn't tell your parents where you were so that's why you're hear?"

"Yeah." you told her sighing deeply. "And that's why I didn't come to Steve's. By the way how was the party?" There was no way you were about to tell her that you had met Jonathan in the woods behind Steve's home for fear of a poor reaction.

"It was....alright." she answered with a strange tone in her voice. "Some things happened and I went to leave and I couldn't find Barb. She must have left without me."

"Maybe she was all partied out?" you suggested remembering her looking a bit sad as she sat alone on the pool diving board before you noticed that she left. "She seems like the stay at home and chill kind of girl."

"She definitely is." Nancy agreed with a small laugh in her voice though you could tell she was absolutely feeling guilty for not leaving with her friend.

A strange silence took over the room as Nancy folded her arms tightly across her chest and looked to the floor like she was lost in thought. There was a lot to be worried about in this town with the disappearance of a young boy with absolutely no progress from the police department. It was possible that a dangerous individual had been preying on the youth of the town and it was hard not to worry about Kelly and you were sure Nancy would be hoping Barb made it home alright.

"I'm going out to look for Will Byers tomorrow." you said suddenly as Nancy snapped from her thoughts to look at you. "I still haven't heard from Kelly so I'll be looking for her too."

"I told you I would help you." she replied with a deep breath. "So I'll be there too."

"Why don't you wait until Monday." you quickly suggested not wanting to bring another person if you planned to help Jonathan tomorrow. "If we don't find anything then I could really use your help. After school."

"Deal." she told you fighting a small yawn signaling she was ready to go back to bed.

"Let's go to sleep?" you asked not wanting to keep her up any later than she already had been. "And I'll tell you what happens with the search in class on Monday."

"Alright. Try to get some rest I'm sure you'll have a long day tomorrow." she said laying back on her usual side of the bed.

Slowly, you crawled under the warm blankets in the empty side of the bed. Her mattress had been similar to yours in firmness that felt comforting at the end of your long night. Rolling on your side to face away from Nancy, you listened to her strange breathing in the silence knowing very well she was worried about her friend. Just as you closed your eyes, you felt Nancy's body slide a bit closer to yours until her body was just barely touching yours.

"Are you alright?" you whispered feeling the heat moving from her body from the closeness.

"Yeah. I'm fine." she sighed clearly lying though you knew she needed comfort the same as you did allowing her to stay as close to you as she needed to be.

~~~To be continued~~~