indifferent

mae

,,i know it's hard, but your grandpa is getting older, mae." my mom tried to reassure me. i looked up at her and slightly smiled.

she was like a broken record, it was the same thing over and over again every time we went to the hospital to see my grandpa. but nonetheless, i had put on a sympathetic act and nodded my head.
,,yeah, i understand mom." she smiled tenderly at me before moving her hand toward mine that was resting on the top leathery bounding of the cup holder.

i turned around and jerked my hand back, pushing open the car door and climbing out. i heard her sigh before following in suit.

we headed toward the sliding doors of the hospital, being smacked with the cold breeze of the air condition as we entered.

i looked around, hospitals always had a unique smell to it. i couldn't describe it if one asked me what kind of smell admitted for the building, it was just a scent that everyone knew about.

,,mae, i need to fill out some paperwork, how about you go sit down over there." she pointed toward the waiting area. i huffed and strolled over in that direction.

i glanced at an old man perched in one of the plastic chairs. he was overweight, probably late thirties, slicked back greasy hair, and a dirty mustache.

i tried not to show the disgust in my face, but who could when being introduced to something so grotesque in an institution that's supposed to be sanitary.

if anything, this man was the definition of a human cockroach. just the thought of it made me want to gag and gouge out my corneas to save me from the horrid.

i took a seat across from him, quickly adverting my eyes to somewhere else as i noticed him getting a glance at me. to make things less awkward i pulled out my phone so i wouldn't have to make conversation with the sleazy old man.

i sighed boredly, deciding to just scroll down my twitter feed to see if there was anything juicy to like or tweet about. i turned my head into the direction of a loud noise admitting from someone closing a door.

it was a boy, maybe my age. he was even cringing at the door for making that awful noise that screeched into the quiet atmosphere of the hospital.

i stared at him in wonderment, trying to figure out who he was visiting; was it a family member, his mother, a brother, maybe his father?

my thoughts were cut short when the male looked my way, raising his eyebrows as he noticed me gazing at him. i blinked a few times as we both stared at each other.

i jumped when i felt a hand on my shoulder, making me swing my attention behind me. my mother stood in front of me now, the hand she placed on my shoulder now against her heart. ,,mae, don't do that! you almost gave me a heart attack." i in took more oxygen as i breathed in deeply, trying to calm my heart rate.

i would have screamed if it was that beer-gutted old man sitting across from me with a newspaper in his grasp. i furrowed my eyebrows when i realized the article was upside down.

,,let's go, mae." my mother started off before me toward the elevator. i stood up and trailed behind her, not so discreetly glancing behind me at the man. ,,listen, mae," my mom piped up after pressing the third floor. i shifted my gaze toward her, waiting. ,,your grandfather...is getting older-"

and here we go again with the same old speech. i don't mean to be ill-mannered about it, it's just. repeatitive. each time, every time. it starts all over again.