Chapter 8: "Feel Okay"

Start from the beginning

"Why'd you fail?" He asks.

"I didn't study last night." I mumble.

"And why not?" He says, eyes wide.

"Because I was crying." I frown.

"Oh, god." Jonathan says, running a hand through his hair as he paces. "Taylor..."

"What am I supposed to do!?" I cry.

"You can't cry." He shakes his head, looking upset. "You can't cry over Braden."

"I just feel so embarrassed. I feel played, and so exposed, I don't know." I sigh. "And they're teasing me, too! It doesn't feel good."

"I know it doesn't," Jonathan sighs as well. "But you can't let them get to you. You could try blocking their numbers?" He suggests.

"Then they're gonna ask me why I blocked them." I say. I wet my hands a bit, splashing some cold water on my face.

"I could say something to Coach?" Jonathan suggests.

"Don't. What would you say?" I ask. I walk back over to the wall, slumping down and sitting.

"I don't know." He shakes his head, coming to sit beside me.

We both sit in silence for a bit. At least I wasn't crying anymore.

"You know what I do when I'm sad?" Jonathan says, and I turn to face him. "I play hockey. Or watch it. Both make me happy. Do something that makes you happy."

"I don't know what makes me happy," I chuckle.

"Yes you do. School?" He says.

"What am I supposed to do?" I ask.

"I don't know. Do something that makes you happy, though. You deserve it," he smiles. "I don't want to see you crying. It's not good, okay?"

"Okay," I say.

Jonathan stands up. "I should get going. My teacher will be wondering where I am."

"Okay." I say, standing up as well. "Thanks for coming, Jonathan. Sorry I pulled you out of class, and sorry you had to see me cry."

He gives a small smile. "It's okay. I hope you feel okay." I pull him in for a hug, and he doesn't object it. I needed a hug. I needed to feel warm and comforted, and I needed friends like him to know that I'd be alright.

"I'll talk to you later." He says, walking out the doors. I wait a bit for him, then walk out the doors after.

I'm forced to go back to my math class, but it's almost over anyway. The day passes by smoother than I'd thought. I was thinking that I could ask my teacher to retake my math test. I was a good student, I'm sure he'd know that I failed for a good reason and I deserved to make it up. I also decided to talk to my English teacher and see if there was any way I could reduce the penalty for not handing in my essay on time.

During my last period class, I was finishing up some homework when I heard the school's intercom system come on. "Will the following students please report to the office: Braden Kerr, Monroe Walker, Jake Trevino, and Nick Sentry?" My eyes widened immediately. I took out my phone and texted Jonathan as fast as I could.

Me: what the hell did you do omg why are they going down to the office

Jonathan Merritt: i took care of it

Me: jonathan i swear what did you do

Jonathan Merritt: i told coach

Me: WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM