Ch. 18 - Carnival

*Unedited

When we got home, I immediately darted off to the direction of the school. Then, I instantly regretted that decision as I was reminded that I was wearing heels.

Having decided that I didn't want the outfit to go to waste, I was wearing the dress and heels I had bought at Estella's, but to top it off, I was wearing Winston's jacket because it was really cold.

"Where are you heading?" Robin asked, causing me to turn around and face.

"The school Carnival," I responded, flattening out the dress.

"Come on. I'll drive you," She gestured for me to follow her before climbing into her van. I followed without question, not really wanting to walk all the way to the school in these darn heels.

We arrived at the school in no time flat.

"Go get that boy," Robin called as I got out of the car. I saluted her before darting to the building.

"Ticket, please," A tall boy with freckles said, blocking my way from entering.

"Let her through, Josh," Katie suddenly appeared from inside to push the boy out of my way, "Glad you could make it, Jessie."

I nodded at her, looking around as I made my way into the building.

I caught a glance of Sophia, standing with a blonde girl in a dazzling blue dress. It was the first time I saw her smile so wide.

"Jess?" I spun around to find Delilah standing by a ring toss that Lydia was attempting to win.

"Oh, come on," Lydia muttered as a ring bounced off a bottle.

"Is Winston here?" I asked Delilah hurriedly.

"He was here earlier, but I haven't seen him since," She answered, taking a bite out of the cotton candy she was holding.

"Oh my gosh. I know where he is. Bye, Delilah," I said before darting back out the front doors.

How did I not think of this before?

By the time I had reached the library, my legs were killing me. I stared up at the tree beside the building before shaking my head. There was no way I was going to climb up that in a dress and heels.

Suddenly, I heard a loud Thud!

The Thatchers.

I rushed to the front door, startling Mrs. Thatcher.

"Jessica! What are you doing here so late?" She gasped.

"I need to go to your roof," I said, out of breath.

"What? Why?" She asked confused.

"I need to see Winston," I told her, not caring that I had just outed us.

"Why would he be—You know what nevermind," She turned around, unlocking the door before handing me the key.

"Lock it on your way out, and hide the key under that plant, okay?" I nodded quickly, giving her a small hug before rushing into the dark library.

I almost broke my ankle rushing up the stairs, my fear of the dark creeping onto me the longer I stayed here.

Winston.

I burst through the door of the roof escape.

I saw him, standing there in a red flannel shirt, leaning on the edge of the roof as he stared at the town.

"Winston," I called out to him, completely strained of all energy that I had held.

"Jess?" He turned to face me, freezing in his place as he stared at me. He mouth was open in shock.

"I'm so sorry," I muttered, walking closer to him as I tried to catch my breath.

"You're here," He said, ignoring my apology. His hand grasped at mine, and I sighed in relief, nodding and resting my head on his chest. His arms wrapped around me, holding me close to him.

"You're actually here. How are you here? I thought I wouldn't see you again," He whispered into my hair, fiddling with the strands of lavender.

"It's a long story. I'm just glad you're not mad at me," I said into his chest.

"I'm not. I was just...hurt," He pulled away, and making me look at him.

"I know. I'm sorry," I placed a small kiss on his jaw.

"But you're here to stay, right?" He asked, pulling me back into his embrace.

"As long as you'll have me," I whispered, letting my head rest on his shoulder.

"So, forever, then?" He laughed, brushing through my hair with his fingers.

"Forever," I smiled, and we stood there, holding each other in the bright lights of the city.

"Is this my jacket?" He asked, picking up the fabric between his fingertips.

"You couldn't just enjoy the moment could you?"