Chapter 23- Twin Trouble

"I want to know why you hate the color yellow." Emerson's out of the blue question startled Clary.

She, Izzy and Simon had been sitting around in Izzy's room discussing everything when Emerson had burst into the room and stormed over to Clary. She had changed from the clothes Izzy had dressed her in and while Clary was glad, she found herself wondering why her sister dressed in such strange clothes.

Emerson was dressed in a soft yellow sun dress with a burgundy cardigan and a matching scarf wrapped around her neck. Her hair surprisingly was still in the same hairstyle Clary had styled it and Clary felt happy that she liked it. Alec and Jace entered behind her with Alec shutting the door gently behind him. It was the first time they were all in a room together and Clary could tell they were all uncomfortable with the turn of events.

"I just don't?" Clary's words came out more of a question than she had intended.

Emerson rolled her eyes before flopping down onto the floor next to her. She could feel the curious and confused eyes of everyone but it was nothing new to her. She had long gotten use to the weird stares her actions caused, instead she held out the stele towards Clary. She had decided to try and get close to Clary, if not for Rhamiel telling her too, then so Clary would stop annoying her.

"Is this yours?" Clary questioned in shock as she took the stele that was being offered to her. She briefly recalled seeing it when she had been younger but the image went as quickly as it had come.

"Jocelyn said it was mine, we were supposed to get them at the same time but obviously didn't." Emerson replied as her eyes focused on Clary only.

Clary handed the stele back offering a sad smile. Emerson, being sick of the sad smiles took her stele and stuffed it back into her coat pocket. Once she was certain it wouldn't fall out she sat on her knees, leaned forwards and pinched both of Clary's cheeks.

"If you're going to waste your smile on a sad one then let me make it better." Emerson said as she tugged on Clary's cheeks.

Clary tried to talk but her lips were squished together, distorting her words. She swatted at Emerson's hands, glaring at the girl who was surprisingly acting like an annoying little sister. Emerson continued to push and pull her cheeks, not hard enough to be painful but hard enough to be annoying.

She briefly wondered if this was what siblings were supposed to do, she found she enjoyed teasing and annoying Clary, it was pay back for her annoying questions; Emerson decided. Clary leaned forward and began pinching and pulling at Emerson's own cheeks. The girls tried speaking but it was apparent neither was going to let the other go any time soon.

"D-did we miss something?" Simon questioned from his spot on the bed. He was shocked to see Clary acting so childish, and to see her mirror image acting just as childish. Izzy found the moment almost as adorable as seeing Alec and Emerson being close.

"Emerson said she was going to give Clary a chance." Alec said as he leaned his back against the wall, watching as the twins acted like siblings for the first time since discovering the other existed.

Jace, standing beside Alec couldn't help but grin at the pair; he knew Emerson had a playful side, them having drowned Alec in water that morning. He was glad that the others were finally seeing it and despite his initial worry about Clary questioning the sudden change in Emerson, it seemed Clary didn't care.

"I think it's a bit odd, she hates her one day and the next their acting like sisters." Simon grumbled only to be slapped on the arm by Izzy.

"I think it's great and we are going to support it because that's what family does." Izzy spoke in a serious tone as she glared at Simon.