38.

Niall's POV

I didn't know when I fell back asleep the previous night but I found myself waking up hours later. This time I wasn't awoken by some nightmare but rather the gentle sunlight pouring through the window, which thankfully didn't go straight into my eyes like it usually did.

Harry and I had now changed positions, leaving a gap in between us. Even though we had that little problem hours before, it didn't seem like it now. The peaceful look on Harry's face made it seem as if nothing had happened.

I turned around to Harry, happy to see that I hadn't woken him up. I didn't particularly want him to continue worrying about me and making a fuss about my mental health. I figured he could probably do with a bit more sleep.

I had no idea why someone like him could look so flawless when asleep, since the rest of the world looked like they had been dragged through a bush. I guess I stared for a little too long because I heard his voice, which was much deeper due to it being morning, pull me from my fantasies.

"It's rude to stare, baby," he mumbled under his breath.

I felt myself blush hotly, my cheeks heating up as I realised I had been caught staring at him yet again. It almost seemed like a habit at this point. 

"It's okay, love. I like it when you check me out. It almost makes me feel as beautiful as you," he smirked, making me get redder.

I was still rather embarrassed about him catching me 'checking him out.' Although I wasn't checking him out. I was simply 'admiring him up close' but that didn't stop him from making me feel self conscious. I turned my gaze away from him and bit my lip.

"Shut up. You do that to me," I muttered defensively, biting back a smile.

I knew that I shouldn't feel so embarrassed about him seeing me because he was my boyfriend and there are many days where I found doing the exact same to me. Always with this affectionate stare but I didn't know why. I wasn't exceptionally beautiful or anything even remotely special.

I couldn't help but think of Harry's reaction if he ever heard me saying things like that about myself. He always made the effort to say as many nice things as he could even if we both knew that I didn't believe him. To be perfectly honest, I liked it when he said things like that about me. 

"I'm sorry, angel. I can't help it that you're beautiful," he said, proving my previous point.

He suddenly opened his eyes to expose the bright green I had grown so accustomed to. My face continued to burn at the cheeky smirk on his face. He sat up and pecked my lips, making me blush even darker. His large hand was rested against my face and his other placed gently on my hip as our lips moved together.

Our lips felt nice together, so nice that I didn't care about the morning breath and I didn't think that he did either. I only cared about our warm lips placed together as though they were perfect for each other.

As good as it felt to kiss him, I slowly pulled away, much to Harry's disappointment, if his frustrated groan was anything to go by. I resisted the urge to kiss him again and got out of the bed. Harry let out another small groan at the loss of contact.

"Niall. Come back," he let out.

"Nope," I grinned, loving the fact that for once, I was teasing him and it wasn't the other way round like it usually was.

He pouted at my refusal, clearly upset that I chose denying him over getting back in bed, making me laugh and kiss his cheek before I headed into the bathroom.

"You missed my lips, baby," I heard him say as I shut the door.

~

My day at school was considerably uneventful. Even Tyler had been strangely quiet, barely even looking at the two of us.

I soon found myself sitting in the crowd of Harry's football game. I say Harry's, even though there were others on the team. The only reason that I was there was because I was Harry's 'good luck charm' as he puts it.

Although I clearly had done nothing but distract him.

Harry had been pulled off the field, allowing someone else to run on to take his place. I frowned as Harry had passed a group of girls, who had stopped what they were doing to stare at Harry with flirty expressions, giggling when they made eye contact.

Harry noticed my expression, rolling his eyes and making his way over to where I was seated.

"Don't look so jealous, love. You're prettier than all of them," he grinned.

"Harry, I'm a boy. I-I'm not pretty," I rolled my eyes.

"Well, whatever you are, I would much rather look at you than at them. And let's not put a gender on compliments," he told me.

If this were some cliche romance, Harry would kiss me in front of the whole school and then announce his attraction to me in front of everyone before we go off and have amazing sex all night. But this wasn't a movie, Harry wasn't yet comfortable with telling people that he was gay and I must accept that. I knew how stressful it was to come out and the last thing I wanted was to pressure Harry.

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes, smiling at him softly. 

"You know...you can just thank me for the compliment instead of insulting me," he said teasingly. 

"You know that I can't a-accept compliments," I told him. 

"Which is why I'm going to keep complimenting you until you learn how to accept them," he replied smugly, causing me to roll my eyes again. I don't think anyone realised just how much of a sap Harry could be. Or that I was the one that was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of it. 

~

The game soon ended and everyone was too caught up with cheering to notice the small peck Harry had placed on my cold and slightly chapped lips. 

"Good job, Harry," I grinned.

"Well, I had my Irish luck charm here to help," he smirked.

"Stop calling me that. W-we both know that's not true," I rolled my eyes. 

"Well, I wouldn't say it's not true. I mean...I'm lucky to have you, so that counts for something, doesn't it?" he questioned, continuing with that same teasing tone. 

"You weren't kidding a-about that complimenting thing, weren't you?" I raised my eyebrow. 

"Definitely not. I like seeing how flustered I can make you. It's cute," he continued. 

"Dick," I let out, trying but failing to bite back my smile. He seemed to notice, the dimples on his cheeks becoming even more prominent. 

"So...the teams throwing a party and I'm kind of being forced to go. Do you want to come with me? Cause if not, we could just go to yours and I'll just make up some excuse to get me out of it," he said awkwardly.

It was no secret that Harry used to go to parties relatively often, something that had changed over the time that he and I had gotten close. Although he had never made it known to me if he missed the parties, I hated the thought that I was stopping him from having a good time. 

"You don't have to stay with me. You can go i-if you want," I shrugged. I wished I could just be normal and enjoy normal teenager things but the least I could do was allow Harry to have that. 

"Yeah...but I'd rather spend time with you. It's okay, I'll tell Louis and Zayn that I'm not feeling well and get out of it," he told me. 

"No, Harry. I-if you want to go then I shouldn't stop you. I guess I'll come with you since you're so a-adamant about not leaving me alone," I said, hoping that Harry couldn't see the underlying hesitance in my tone. 

"I'm not-- okay, maybe I am a little too 'adamant' about not leaving you alone. I happen to like spending time with you," he let out, pouting slightly. 

I grinned, leaning up to kiss him softly, thankful that there was no one around to witness our display of affection, even though I desperately wanted the entire school to watch me claim Harry. 

"I won't leave your side the whole night," he promised.

Although something deep down told me that something would happen.