Chapter 1

Evening was falling as the embers of the once roaring fire gave off a soft orange glow that cast long silhouetting shadows about the darkening room. Linna swiped a damp cloth over the counter, lazily missing the very corners as her hand moved in a circular pattern. The towel was replaced in its home on the rail at the edge of the counter. Moving on to her next chore, a hushed curse greeted the sight of wax from the low candle dripping down the side table and onto the floor. She had meant to previously change the candle, but had been distracted by the visitation of the delightfully handsome shoemaker’s son.

With a quick breath, she blew out the candle, further dimming the light in the room. While letting the liquid wax harden on the candle before attempting to remove it, she turned her attention to the floor, where dots of wax formed a patterned array. With a small blade, she scraped the wax from the wood, enough that she might be able to brush the tiny scraps away with a broom. A chilled breeze warned of the door being opened even before it had swung enough to creak. Linna lifted herself with the distinct thought that it was likely whomever entered could see down the front of her dress with no trouble from the door. She hoped it would be the shoemaker’s son returning to keep her company into the evening.

The man who did enter, however, barely fit under the doorframe, hunching so that he could pass under it. At his full height, Linna nearly had to bend backwards to see him. Her hand rose involuntarily, brandishing the knife before her. The man glanced down at the blade, his brow lifting in interest. “Do not worry yourself. That is a normal reaction for those that see me,” he assured her.

She followed his gaze to her hand, then with an embarrassed squeak, tried to hide her hand behind her back. “I did not mean to.” She took a step back, glancing towards the counter. “Is there anything I can help you with,” she asked, trying to recover some poise. She retreated behind the counter, placing the knife back in its drawer.

The man casually followed her to the counter. “I could use a room for the night. I have been sleeping outside for roughly a week, as there are not many inns, even on this road.” Linna nodded in understanding. Dunsford was one of a very select number of towns that had an inn on the road from Trilza to Alma. It had Milton Lake to its south that provided it with trade from the capital, allowing it to grow to a more substantial size.

“What kind of room would you like?”  At that time of the year, most had already passed through on their way to the capital of Alma, Lazur, or north towards Esterly or Von. As the days got colder, they would make their way back, but late spring was not a busy season in Dunsford.

“First floor, close to the rear of the building,” he listed off his specifications. “Do you have anything like that?” His fingers scraped over the short beard that crawled down his neck. “Oh, and I have a horse. I saw you have a stable.” Linna nodded. She began running through his list, deciding on a particular room that was not occupied.

“I always ask that people pay up front,” she mumbled, then having to repeat what she said after being too quiet.

The man just smiled warmly, reaching into his jacket. He did not go for the pouch that was on his belt, which seemed a curiosity to Linna. He followed her eyes. “A smart man never keeps his money where another man would,” he commented. After a bit of a struggle, he retracted his hand from within his coat and pulled from it a gold coin. He let it drop in front of her, thudding heavily and coming to rest with no moments spin.

Linna stared down at the coin. “Is that not sufficient,” the man inquired, leaning over the counter. Linna looked up at him in shock, but got caught for the first time by the sight of his eyes. They were golden, just like the coin, but untainted and with a slight warmth. “Well,” he coaxed, “should a try to find another?”