Flight

"Has anyone seen Stavrakis?" Kalanaar asked as he trudged into the room. It was two hours since they had split up to search the upper level, and the entire away team was now pacing around the waiting room.

"It's been too long." Gro'Kna agreed, his rifle in a semi-disassembled state. Lorax had joined them and was seated in the middle of the room in a deep meditative state. Lex glanced behind her, then turned back to her data streams. Senver was posted in the front door as lookout. The fact that there were no lifesigns and that they had been untroubled the entire time in the facility worked on their nerves. Now that Stavrakis was missing it meant that something was actually still alive in this complex, perhaps hunting them. Edmund had called in for a status update an hour ago, reported that the Stasis chamber the Inquisitor had called in was en route. From deep orbit, it would take another hour to impact. No one knew what was in it, and Edmund had been reluctant to reveal that information. No one was in the mood to care. Aurora sat in a corner, resting her head on her arms.

Kalanaar took his conical helm off and rubbed his eyes.

"Fifteen hours." He grumbled.

"It is unlike the Eldar to grumble so." Gro'Kna observed, inspecting the barrel of his rifle. "Some of your Far-seeing prospects take years."

"What do you know of our prospects?" Kalanaar asked, genuinely surprised. Gro'Kna made a soft whistle in response before answering.

"I am Kroot. We offer our services to whomever can afford us." He said, finally. He slid the barrel back into the body of his rifle, satisfied.

Kalanaar nodded. "How were you paid?" He massaged his wrists before putting his helmet back on his head. He twisted it, and with a soft, sucking click, it snapped into place.

"With these." Gro'Kna took a worn leather pouch from underneath his armour and handed it to Kalanaar. What the others could only assume was a gasp escaped Kalanaars helmet.

"I shudder to think what sort of job you were offered to get paid in these. And the monumental trust and faith placed in you my friend." He said in a voice uncharacteristic of him. It was small and filled with awe and humility. He looked at Gro'Kna, who nodded. He reached one gloved hand into the pouch and pulled out a small jewel, no bigger than a grape. It shone brilliantly from within, a soft purple hue...

An Eldar soulstone. The pouch was full of them.

"I have no use for them." Gro'Kna snorted, "I keep them as a reminder of alliances and brotherhoods past, now long forgotten." He said, wistfully. Kalanaar eyeballed the Kroot, before reverently handing the pouch back.

Everyone in the room was painfully aware of the value of one. No shortage of prospective clients would be lining up to take them if they thought they had a chance. The Inquisition would conduct their research on them, the Chaos would torment the Eldar and use the stones to fuel their weapons and warmachines, and the Dark Eldar... Well. They would gladly pay double, triple the wagers of anyone else. The chance to torment and spite their lawful cousins would be too great an opportunity to pass up. That is just one. A bag full could send entire sectors into war. Their thoughts were shattered by the stomping of Senver, rushing into the room.

"Problem." He stated and then rushed back out. Some time ago, an audible thump-thump had started and only grew in both frequency and volume as they waited. They had paid it no mind, until now. Lorax shifted until he was standing. He seemed to have recovered enough. Lex unplugged her equipment from the control module and quickly stowed it away. The rest of the team rushed out after Senver.

Once on the upper gantry overlooking the large central room they had entered, they understood.

"Oh. Problem." Lex exclaimed.