Afraid

As Neal's hand cover his cheekbone I threw my arms around his neck. "You're an idiot," I said barley keeping the tears from falling. "I'm scared, Neal."

"Let's take her back June's, Moz," Neal said as he held me. "For now we can hide her there."  He slowly released me from that warm embrace, and he took my hand, leading me out of the abandoned building.

"What if the Suit comes by, and wants to stay a while?" Mozzie questioned.

"It's best to hide her right under his nose. He shouldn't think to look there." 

As we walk down the street Neal's phone rang and I felt my heart start to make its way out of my chest. If the FBI is calling then I can't stay around. I knew Neal was working for them, but he was the only person I could trust.

"I think you know the answer to that question Peter," Neal said into the phone. He handed me a piece of paper, and I ran.

As I came closer to the busy streets I began to a walk.  The unfamiliar streets of New York City made me feel uneasy. I knew how to hide in plain sight, how to get away, how to blend in, but I still began to panic.

I looked at the piece of paper Neal gave me. It was an address. I walked as quickly as I could without drawing attention to myself. It didn't take me long to find big house the address belonged to.  I cautiously walked to the door and knocked. I prepared myself to run again, unsure of what awaited me on the other side of the door.

A woman answered the door.  "You must Janessa. Mozzie told me you were coming. Come in, quickly."

I was ushered into the house. "Who are you?" I asked, my voice shaking with tears.

"I'm June, dear.  I've been asked to hide you in case Peter comes around. Mozzie is on his way. I know you're scared, but you can trust me."

June went on to tell me stories of her late husband, Byron, and all his adventures until Mozzie showed up.  I ran greatfuly into his arms as the fear and panic started to overcome me. 

"Neal will be here as soon as he can. He's trying stall the Suits," he said as he tried to comfort me.

"Mozzie I didn't do it. It would have taken a con to pull that off. I may be able to hide and steal, but I am terrible con. I don't want to go to prison."

"We'll get you out of this, dear," June's words were more comfort than I had expected.

We sat in silence for ages. As the sun went down, I thought of ways to change my appearance. All I could think to do for now was hide in plain sight.

Our silence was finally broken by a car pulling up. Mozzie ran to a window to see what was coming. I could see the worry in eyes, and I started to look for a way out.

"Mozzie get her upstairs. Hide her Neal's closet. I'll try to stall for you. Go, now." June hurried around the corner while Mozzie ushered me upstairs. We entered Neal's flat and I was pushed into the walk-in closet. I could hear Mozzie in the kitchen getting out a bottle of, what I assumed, was wine.

I heard the door of the flat open, and stopped breathing.

"Why is he always here?" I heard an unfamiliar man ask.

"Mozzie we need the room." When Neal spoke I let air back into my lungs. "I think June could use your help with something." 

I heard Mozzie call the man Suit and leave.

As the door closed and Mozzie made his way down the stairs the stranger spoke again, "Neal, I need the truth from you?"

"Peter I told you, I haven't seen Janessa in years. She wouldn't follow in my footsteps. She's too smart for that, and she's a terrible con."

I listened I'm on their conversation, and wished I knew what the F.B.I knew.

"How do you know she's a terrible con?"

Neal let out a sigh. "I took her on a job the last time I saw her. She nearly ruined the entire thing. Peter, Janessa can't lie about anything."

"She could have learned to, Neal. If you haven't seen her in years how would you know she didn't learn how to lie?"

"I don't," he sounded defeated.

"I know you don't want to believe it, but she was involved in this. You've seen the evidence to prove it. How can you still think innocent?"

"I still have faith she turned out alright, Peter. I won't believe she did anything wrong unless she confesses."

I heard the man, Peter, let out a sigh. "Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't make it true. We start looking do her tomorrow. Be ready for what happens, Neal. It might hurt."

"Goodnight Peter," I could hear anger rising in his voice. 

"Goodnight Neal." 

I heard the door close, and footsteps came towards me. I felt my breath catch in my throat.  The closet door opened, and Neal stood in front of me.

Tears came into my eyes and danced down my cheeks. "Help me," I pleaded. 

"Neal?" Peters voice was clear from outside the flat. I heard the door to the flat open agian,  and I ran to the back of the closet.  I realized I had backed myself into a corner, and I was trapped.