THE CEREMONY

My palms were sweaty and I kept twiddling my thumbs. I am nervous, VERY nervous. What would living on Earth be like? What would I do if I stayed on Mars and I ran out of food and drink? Would my mom be sad if I stayed at Mars? Would my mom be disappointed in me if I came back to Earth? These questions lingered in my mind when the boss of NASA appeared on the screen. He had a beard that wrapped around his mouth that was neatly trimmed, as well as his sideburns that went up to his, not a lot of hair that was slicked to the side with what he had.

I put on a forced smile. Professor Smith took it as a genuine smile. He probably got that fake smile a lot.

"Olympus Mons," Professor Smith said sternly. I jumped from the suddenness of it.

"Y-yes sir," I said with my voice shaking a bit.

"I've brought these people to vote, your mother," I blinked. "Your little and big brothers," I have brothers? "And a couple of NASA's workers. Nancy, Walter, and Andrew." he told.

I felt beads of sweat form on my face, and I quickly wiped them off.

"Poor chap, he's got to make such a big decision. Basically deciding his life!" Walter said. When he talked he was almost shouting. He had a big beard the wrapped around his chin like a strap, and it didn't look like he cut it recently. He looked like a person who would be a lumberjack, not a worker for NASA. But again, that could be helpful. Maybe he built the ships.

"C-can I see my brothers?" I asked. I was never told that I had brothers. I don't think they even know I existed either. 

"Yes you may, Mr. Mons," Smith told me. I felt beads of sweat on my face again. And I didn't bother to wipe them off. I looked down and saw my armpits were sweaty. Ugh! I hope they didn't see that. 

I cleaned myself up a bit more when a boy about six stepped on to the screen, he was in my mom's lap. 

"Hi limpus!" he said. "I'm your brover, Sammy." he said. It made me smile when he mispronounced my name.

"Hi!" I replied. "I'm your brother Olympus."

"Where are you limpus?" Sammy said curiously.

"I'm in a spaceship."

"Are you going to Jupiter?" he asked.

"Nope, I'm going to Mars."

"What're you gonna do vere?"

"I'm going to climb a volcano."

"Reawy? Can I come???" 

"No buddy, I'm in space now, okay?"

"Aww. Mommy can I come?"

"Sorry, no Sammy. You're too young. Maybe when you grow to be big a strong you can ride in spaceships with Sammy!" Mom said.

"Yaay!!"

"ROSE!!! WE HAVE SOME WORK TO DO!" Andrew yelled from the other room.

"COMING! Say bye Sammy!" mom said.

"Byeeee!" he said waving.

"Bye." I said quietly.

Then the NASA logo appeared on the screen and I waited.

"OLYMPUS! YOU DRIVE I GOTTA GO AND DO SOMETHING!" Jackson said. But I knew that 'something' was go sleep. But I went to drive anyway.

I can drive, it's just I'm not very good. I'm not supposed to drive, ever. But I was taught how to because Jackson loves his naps.

30 minutes later Jackson woke up and got up to drive again. 

"I hate waking up." he said grumpily.

"Doesn't everyone? I have to video call NASA and do the ceremony. See ya." I said feeling a wave of nervousness. I've been dreading this day. It's a huge decision to make when your 14. I am basically deciding how my life will continue.

Imagine that.

I went back to the screen room and I video called NASA back. The NASA logo appeared on the screen while annoying waiting music played. It just made me even more nervous. When Professor Smith appeared on the screen I felt scared. I was sweating a lot, again. And I tried my best to smile.

"Olympus Mons." he said, once again in a stern tone.

I expected it this time. And who knows what the Earth life will be like? Hopefully my mom goes into cryosleep when I head back for Earth. I when I get back I don't want to 16 and her to be... who knows how old? I don't ask her age because that's rude. But I know she is around the 35/40 range.

"This is the day you decide where you will live," Smith said.

"Yes sir," I said

"If you come back to Earth, you won't have half as much power over things as you will on Mars, but it's your decision. You pick what you pick," Smith said. I realized he was trying to get me to stay.

"Olympus," Andrew said.

"Yeah?"

He came up close to the screen as if he didn't want anyone else to hear. It probably looked weird from Professor Smith's point of view. Who knows, they might be talking to me through a tablet. "You know he wants you to stay, it would be a big plus for America, but speak from your heart. If I were you right now, I'd come home to Earth. Some advice: Don't EVER let him persuade you to do anything," Andrew said seriously.

"Um, why?" I asked. Why was it bad to be persuaded by him?

"He's done it to me once. It ended up not too good for me. He persuaded me to miss the exam day. It benefited him and didn't benefit me, I almost lost my job! So if he is trying to persuade you to do something, don't do it. Because he's doing it for himself." Andrew explained.

I wanted to go back to Earth, but should I? I mean, I didn't want to make a man like that angry, but I didn't want to feed his little thing he has here. I decided to go back to Earth, but I wasn't too sure. I've made my decision.

"Professor Smith," I said in a big stern voice, almost making fun of him. "I've decided."

"Spit it out Mons," he said. Clearly annoyed by my impression.

"I've decided I'm coming back to Earth." He frowned. 

"Your choice Mons."