CHAPTER 1

The spaceship was crowded but cozy. I have to live with sharing most everything, except clothes of course. Because the people I'm traveling with are older. I don't remember much of my journey to Mars. But I vividly remember climbing, like I did it just a few days ago.

I didn't go into cryosleep because I needed to age on the trip. That's why my trip is so long. I have one of the slowest pods. It barely uses any fuel it's so slow. That's a big plus though. Leaving fuel to cook and use electricity. It's the worst to grow up on nothing but space food, right? I didn't because of the amount of fuel being used.

The people I'm traveling with are older than me. They started the trip when they were 15. Which means by the time we get there they will be 30, and I'll be 16. Not counting the trip back and the time that is going to be spent on the mountain. If we had a fast pod, it would take us about two weeks, and I would be used to Earth. But I'm not used to Earth, the space pod I ride is my Earth.

Today I was bored again, I ran out of books to read years ago, and the only thing to do is to document my adventures. "Document 'em before you forget 'em" my ship mate said. So, here I am. 

Earth looks magnificent from here, so blue and green, with streaks of white. Clouds is what you call them. There is no sky here, it's just and endless supply of stars. And we're getting closer and closer to and orange planet. Mars, I believe. I can't see Olympus Mons from here, but I know it's there. 

Every time I hear my name, I get reminded of what scary thing I have to do in not very long. It sends chills down my spine. It gets annoying. And I get really anxious. But I've learned to be patient. Flying in this ship is The Ultimate Waiting game, is what I call it. I chat with my companions, but it just isn't enough. I wish I had a new book. Maybe me and my mates can play Charades, but I hate charades.  I can draw pictures, but I ran out of pencils and paper. My mates would draw rain and snowflakes.

I don't know what snow is, I've never seen it, the same with rain. I remember glimpses of a white wonderland. But now those memories are faint. Rain is water falling from the sky, that sounds weird when I put it that way. But it is strange. I wonder if it all comes down all at once with a big splash! Or is it drop by drop? My mates tell me it's a bunch of drops. I feel that's more realistic, so  go with that.

My mates are going into cryosleep again, I guess I'll just sit here and wait, alone, for a month. I can take care of myself! I'm almost 14! And my birthday is coming. I don't think we'll do anything special for my birthday. Maybe a pat on the back and a "Happy B-day 'Lympus".

June 23, ????

It's finally my birthday. Jackson and Bill finally awoke from cryosleep. I can't wait for my B-day dinner. Maybe spaghetti, because I'm turning 15 next year and we're almost there. The exact date (without delays) that we'll arrive is June 30. So really, I'm nervous/excited.

Tomorrow is also the big day, and I can't miss it. It's my ceremony. I can't actually be there, but I'll be there robotic-ally.  It's where we choose whether I should stay on Mars or not. I'm voting not, I want to see other people than the people I grew up with.

We're even closer to the magnificent orange planet. I have to go to sleep, my clock says 11 pm, yours probably says different.

June 24, ????

I'm getting ready, I'm putting on a suite and tie. I'm brushing my hair now, after that I'm gonna put on one of the most valuable things. The original NASA badge from Apollo 11.