4.9

PART FOUR CHAPTER NINE

The night has come And she has brought darkness with her

The night has come
And she has brought darkness with her.
Mummy went out
Closed the shutters,
Sleep, sleep,
Fall asleep!

    THE FOUR OF THEM SCOUTED THROUGH THE WIDE CORRIDORS. They were defensive, carefully looking down each corner before walking out. Victoria and Bucky had their guns lowered, but were ready to attack if someone came at them. Occasionally Victoria recognised a spot, but it was more of a gut feeling than a clear memory. Tony led them down another corridor, using the palm of his hand as a torch.

    "I got heat signatures." Tony said. Bucky and Victoria raised their guns.

    "How many?" Steve asked.

    "Uh... One." Tony replied, confused, as they approached a room that Victoria did remember. In the center was the contraption she saw Bucky be tortured on when her powers were beginning to manifest. From the corner of her eyes, she looked at him to see his reaction to the chair. Her attention was brought back to the room again when the lights inside the glass tanks all turned on, the neon yellow illuminating frozen bodies. Shouldn't there be heat signatures for them, too?

    "If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." A voice spoke from overhead as the four walked, inspecting the tanks. Victoria looked closely, seeing bullet holes in the middle of their foreheads. She didn't show it, but she was relieved that the soldiers were dead. They wouldn't have been able to take them. They would've lost within minutes. "Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

    "What the hell?" She heard Bucky mumble.

    "I'm grateful to them though, they brought you here." A light turned on in a dark corner of the room, and the four spun towards it, ready to offend. Steve threw his shield, but it bounced straight back. "Please, Captain. The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of a few a hundred rockets."

    "I'm betting I can beat that!" Tony called, being his humorous self. They didn't have time for humour.

    "Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr. Stark. Given time. But then you'll never know why you came." The man said. Victoria recognised him as the man who activated the Winter Soldier out of Bucky.

    "You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve stated, walking towards him.

    "I thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you, I followed you. But now that you are standing here, I just realized... There's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes." He laughed quietly. "How nice to find a flaw." Victoria was very creeped out by the man, and went to stand by Steve so she could look at him- perhaps help Steve if necessary.