4.6

PART FOUR CHAPTER SIX

WHEN BUCKY CAME AROUND, THE FIRST THING HE SAW WERE TWO VIOLET EYES BURNING INTO HIM. Victoria looked at him with sympathy. "Hey." She said softly. He suppressed a groan and turned away from her discomforting gaze, only to find his metal arm trapped in a vice.

    "Hey, Cap!" Sam's voice echoed throughout the abandoned workshop, and Bucky shifted uncomfortably. Victoria placed a hand on his knee, a kind gesture meant to comfort him. He shivered.

     Bucky tried to pull his arm out from the metal trap, groaning in restraint as he did so. Footsteps sounded behind from Victoria, who stood up from her seated position on the floor.

    "Steve." He said hoarsely. He daren't look up at the brunette towering above him.

    "Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asked, eyes scanning his body for any signs of the Winter Soldier making a reappearance.

    "Your mom's name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." He said, laughing fondly at the memory.

    Steve smiled. "You can't read that in a museum."

    "Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam asked, untrusting.

    "What did I do?" Bucky asked, regret laced in his voice.

    "Enough." Vic mumbled.

    "I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do is say the god damn words."

    "Who was he?" Steve asked.

    "I don't know."

    "People are dead. The bombing. The set up. The doctor did all that just to get ten minutes with you. I need you to do better than "I don't know. ""

    "Steve, it wasn't his fault. What that man did... Those command words? I hadn't heard those specific ones used to activate the Soldier in years. And we were together all the time. He's not going to go off again." Victoria defended her friend, turning her body so she was facing Sam and Steve and stood next to Bucky, rather than in front of him.

    "He wanted to know about Siberia. Where we were kept." Bucky looked up at Victoria then, who scowled; trying to dig through her memories and remember anything to do with the Russian base where she grew up. "He wanted to know exactly where."

    "Why would he need to know that?" Steve demanded.

    Victoria looked down, almost guiltily, as Bucky looked up at her. An expression crossed her features that he couldn't recognise. Like she was in pain.

    "Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier."

☢️

1991

    "NO! I DON'T WANT TO! NO! NO! I WANT ZOLA! I DON'T WANT THIS! NO!" The cries of a child echoed throughout the large, cold concrete room. A girl, no older than seven, was being dragged towards several other people with blue liquid pumping into their veins. Violet didn't want to try the new serum. She had just gotten used to the overbearing pain of her old serum, and she was certain the new one will be worse.

    "Be quiet." The man snapped, shaking her and squeezing her arm tighter. She shut up instantly at the sight of the man with the metal arm at the end of the room.

    The man paced towards her, taking her away from the two doctors, and picked her up. He was gentler than the two men, but was still rough nontheless. He carried her to the bed he was stood next to and dropped her onto the mattress. The only sound was the soft wimpers and occasional sobs coming from her. She whined and winced as needles penetrated her skin, a few tears dropping down onto her white dress. The man who inserted the drip stroked her buzzed hair softly, a gesture of comfort that, in reality, was a lot less comforting than it should be.