The Good Samaritan

This is a nonfiction microstory of my ride home from Savannah, GA on September 8, 2016...

When I was jolted awake by the hysteria, I had absolutely no idea what was to come...

Other than it sounded as if it was not going to be good...

I have no idea how long I had been asleep...

Other than I usually don't sleep more than thirty minutes to one hour at a time...

I had no idea where I was...

Other than I knew that I was in the back seat of a car that wasn't moving...

I had no idea what was going on...

Other than both of my sisters were screaming hysterically!!!

What is wrong??? I asked...

Though their excitement, I was only able to make out "Up there!!! And that was only possible because they were pointing...

I gathered myself as quickly as I could...

Scenarios, most which were not good, played out rapidly in my mind...

As I bailed out of the back seat, another vehicle swerved past me and skidded to a stop just in front of us...

I had no time to try and figure out what could be wrong with the driver of the car in front of us... Someone maybe several people could be hurt and or dying...

As I raced up the hill, I caught a glimpse of a figure charging past me...

Awestruck by the debris field and the amount of damage I tell myself "This is not good!!!"...

By the time I got to the top of the hill, a voice commanded, "Go to my car!!! Tell my wife that I need a first aid kit!!!"

Without exchanging a word I rush back down the hill...

Excitedly I tell the lady in the backseat (his wife), "We need a first aid kit!!!"...

"There isn't one in this car." she replied...

As we had just left from setting up my niece's dorm room, I knew that we had clean towels and sheets...

So back to our car I ran...

I gathered alcohol, bottled water, clean sheets, towels and a comforter...

Again back up the hill I race with my makeshift first aid kit...

When got up the hill, 100 yards from the highway, I tried to catch by breath and suppress my excitement to help me communicate...

The attempt was futile!!!

The scene was horrific!!! There was an overpowering smell of gasoline. The man had pulled the driver out of the car. She had blood from her head to her feet. She was screaming and obviously was in shock. He said "I need your help. First we need to get her a safe distance from the car in case of fire. Then I need you to go back up to check the car, she says there is no one else in the car but I thought that I saw a baby seat in the back. Then try to shut that dayam horn off. Also, if the motor is still running you'll need to try and shut it off. Then as quickly as you can get back down here. Be careful!!!"...

I did as he had asked. Starting with checking to make sure that there was no one else in the car. There a child safety seat in the back seat. The restraint harness was unbuckled and no visible signs of a child or any blood in the backseat area. I moved as much stuff as possible to allow me to check the floorboard. I checked around and under the car as it appeared that the car had rolled. The constant drone of the horn was beginning to trigger my PTSD. But I was unable to open the hood of the car. I had taken the key out of the ignition switch while in the passenger compartment. Still I checked through and bent hood to make sure.

September 2016  poems  thoughts   life stories जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें