Dark Mark

Description: You being worried about Draco and Draco breaking up with you and then you find out that he has the dark mark and you understand everything.

Genre: Fluff

Warnings: Crying and sad Draco.

words: 967

When I met with Draco during the summer he looked tired. I put it down to it being summer, he was probably just up later than usual. But when we returned for our 6th year the bags under his eyes had not gone and his usual quirky smirk had disappeared completely, leaving a blank stare that never had any life in it.

As you can imagine I started getting worried about him and when ever I asked to talk to him he pushed me away.

Now, a quarter way through the school year, I've had enough.

"Draco!"I snap as I walk beside him on the way to DADA.

"What is it,(y/n)?"he says, not a single hint of interest in his voice.

"If you don't want to be with me anymore why not you just end it?"I ask, my tone softens as I look at my feet as we walk.

"Why would you say that?"he says, stopping in the corridor. It's the most reaction I've got from him all year. He sounds genuinely concerned.

"You never talk to me, we've not even hugged since you got back never mind kiss and you push me away every time I try to ask you what's wrong."I say and he runs his fingers through his platinum hair.

"I didn't realise you were so needy!"he snaps "you're right. I don't think we should be together any more."

He walks away, I'd been expecting something like this to happen but when it comes crashing down on me it hurts. It feels like my heart is on fire but I do not cry, I can't cry, I brought up the subject after all. Maybe I was being to needy, maybe it was all my fault after all, it wouldn't be the first time.

By the time I come to my senses I'm late for potions.

"Miss (l/n), you are 10 minutes and 34 seconds late." Professor Snape notified me.

"I apologise sir." I mumble

"Take your seat."he snaps. I sit next to Draco, not once making eye contact with him.

We work together grudgingly, Snape notices this.

"Malfoy,(l/n)! What seems to be the problem.

"I don't find it fit to work with Draco after current events, I believe I will be too distracted. I mumble, Draco nods in agreement.

"Very well, Malfoy, you are now with Pansy, (y/n), you can go with lavender."Snape says. We all swap partners and get on with the lesson.

---

Later at dinner everyone is staring at me, I try to eat but everyone keeps glancing over at me, I get angry and slam down my cutlery.

"Is there a reason that you keep staring at me!? Mind your own business!" I hiss and about a dozen people turn away from me. I roll my eyes and decided I am done with my dinner and I leave the great hall.

As I walk through the dimly lit corridors of the dungeon I am getting angrier by the second. When I reach the common room I let out the anger with a raging scream.  I punch the cushion that lay on the sofa. I then flop onto the sofa and lay face down for a while.

"(y/n)?" I hear someone ask. I sit up to see Draco sat in the corner of the room.

"Draco?" I ask, surprised by his presence in the room.

"I am sorry," he says, his voice sounds choked like he was crying. His pale cheeks are tear stained, eyes are red and puffy.

I slowly walk over to him and kneel in front of him.

"What's wrong?" I ask, concern bubbling in my throat.

Then I see it, on his wrist. The hideous mark of a snake the curled around a skull. I grab his arm and tears slip from my eyes. Everything starts making sense.

"What have they done to you?" I whisper, tracing my fingers over the dark mark.

"(y/n), I am so sorry!" he sobs and I put my fingers on his lips and shake my head. My tears fall onto his wrist, his pale arm is now inked with a constant reminder of fear and terror.

"I don't blame you, I trust it wasn't your decision." I mumble and he suddenly flings his arms around me and rest his head on my shoulder, I can feel his tears soak through my shirt, I hug him back.

"I love you." he says and kiss his cheek when he pulls back.

"I'm sorry I broke up with you,I just wanted to protect you."he admits, sniffing with a almost normal smile but with a hint of sadness . My heart thumps at his smile, the first smile all year no matter how sad it is .

"We need to protect each other Draco. Promise to tell me things from now on."I softly, I run my hands up his back and he keeps sniffing.His head buried into my shoulder.

"I promise." He mumbles.

I understand his reasons for not talking to me, why he kept pushing me away. He was trying to protect me. I love him for that.

---

We sit like this for a while, even after the common room starts fill with people. Draco doesn't move. I don't move when I feel him fall asleep on my shoulder, I soon feel myself falling asleep as well.

I know we will always have to face big problems in life and this was just one of them and it's not over yet but I at least know what Draco is going through and I will support him all the way.