chapter sixteen

chapter dedication: -fluentinwhale because i loVE YOU

-

Belle's POV

After Pocahontas had told me what she had overheard Adam say, I'd been keen to continue tutoring Adam. If I could do that, I would be able to get down to the bottom of the rumor. I was coming up with ideas on how to revisit the tutoring idea; we could go somewhere more public than the library. He told me I treat him like a child, so maybe a change of setting would help. When I entered Ms. Kingsley's class a few minutes early on Tuesday afternoon, however, I found that it wouldn't be too difficult to persuade him.

"This is so unfair!" Adam yelled in anger.

"Actually, it is very fair, Mr. Potts," Headmaster Mickey retorted. "Now sit back down and we can discuss how to find a solution that works for everyone." He scratched the stubble on his face and folded his arms while sitting on the corner of Ms. Kinglsey's desk.

"We could call your stepmother, she could come in and talk to us about your grades-"

"No, please," Adam said desperately. I could hear his voice break, and my heart shattered. "I'm sorry for yelling, Headmaster."

"Thank you, Adam. Now, since it's too late for you to take on an extra credit project, you will have to get a high grade on your English exam in order to pass this semester."

Adam grimaced. "How high?"

"Atleast a B-." Adam rubbed his face in his hands. Headmaster Mickey sighed.

"I know it sounds difficult, Adam," Ms. Kingsley piped up, "but if you work hard and apply yourself, then you'll be more than capable of achieving a B-. In fact, you are capable of an A+."

"I'm aware that it didn't work out for you in the first quarter, but how do you feel about the possibility of having a tutor?" Mickey suggested.

Adam hesitated. "Who would you assign me?"

"If you're hoping for a B or higher?" Headmaster Mickey asked rhetorically.

"Belle Etoile is my best student, even for a freshman," Ms. Kingsley answered. Not to pat myself on the back, but I already knew that would be her answer. "She really knows what she's talking about, and if I can't help you then she certainly can."

"Would you be willing to be tutored again?"

When Adam didn't respond, Ms. Kingsley said, "You may be just a student Adam, but it is really important that you understand and can comprehend the material. If you don't, then I'm not doing my job as a teacher."

"I can handle being tutored again, and I don't mind Belle," he answered after a long pause. "I kind of gave her a hard time last time she tried to tutor me. I don't think she would be up to helping me again."

I decided to make my presence known, and I stepped into the doorway. "I would like to help you again, Adam."

"How long have you been standing there?" Adam asked in confusion.

"Fantastic!" Mickey clapped. "Thank you, Belle."

"Of course, Headmaster Mickey."

Students filed into the classroom as I took my seat up front.

Wendy's POV

It had officially been a month and a half since Peter and I broke up, and I had never felt lonelier. My spot in Vanessa's clique had been filled by the Tremaine twins, Anastasia and Drizella. They treated Vanessa like she was God. In other words, they worshiped her religiously, as if being in her group made them immortal. Looking back, I can't believe I acted like that a year ago when I first became her "friend".