chapter nine

byr; I'm not trying to copy Disney Prep (by squishyfishies ) by calling the dance the Autumn Dance. It's not a formal, so it's not the Autumn Formal, and the Fall Dance sounds so sloppy and unprofessional and icky. so thanks :)

Esmeralda's POV

"Hey, Esmeralda!"

"Oh, hi Belle," I smiled warmly. I was sitting underneath a big oak tree in the school courtyard, chewing on my peanut butter sandwich. My rectangular reading glasses were perched on my nose, balanced perfectly as I continued reading.

Following Belle were a few other girls, whom I recognized as they came closer. Ariel, Jane, Merida, Rapunzel, and Tiana. I was familiar with the group; they were in book club with me last year. Except Merida, but everyone knew Merida — she was super into feminism and women's rights.

"What's up?" Ariel asked, sitting beside me on the ground. The rest of the girls sat in a semicircle around me.

"I'm just reading," I raised my book before setting it down and placing my sandwich crusts on the plastic plate I purchased it on.

"We were wondering if you were busy this weekend?" Rapunzel explained. "We're going dress shopping for the Autumn Dance on Saturday and we were wondering if you wanted to come?"

I wasn't planning on going to the dance. I wasn't asked by any guys and I didn't have many friends. As if she was reading my mind, Jane added, "We're all going to go together, without dates. Except Jasmine, because she has a boyfriend."

Merida sighed. "They're making me go with them so I can help them choose their dresses. I'm not going to the dance either."

"Who said she wasn't going?" Belle said.

"Well, I'm not," I said bluntly.

"Please?" Tiana begged, folding her hands jokingly. "They're makin' me and Jane go to the dance with 'em, too."

I thought for a minute. Always a chance to make more friends, considering I had very few because I always stuck to myself. I smiled. "Yeah, sure. Sounds super fun."

"Yay!" Rapunzel cheered. "This is gonna be so fun!"

-

It was finally Saturday. After a long two days of waiting, I am going to the mall to hang out with Belle and her friends. My parents always wanted me to focus on school and my dancing, which got in the way of being able to make any friends.

I was laying on my stomach reading when the girls knocked at my dorm door. My roommates Kim and Vanessa were already gone. Vanessa was shopping (she always seemed to be) and Kim was doing more training at the gym . I opened the door while grabbing my phone and wallet. I felt under dressed compared to Ariel and Jane, who wore nice tops and sandals. I was wearing a "I'd rather be watching Netflix " t-shirt with a pair of ripped jeans and converse all star tennis shoes.

"We're meeting Belle, Merida, and Tiana at the boutique," Rapunzel explained as we stepped into the elevator. While we walked to the shopping center, we discussed various things, from our favorite books and movies to what type of dress we wanted to buy.

"So, who do you want to have the couples' dance with?"

Ariel's question caught me off-guard. I was picking at my nail polish and staring at the ground when she asked.

"What?"

"Well, we all have someone we want to dance with for the couples' dance," Jane explained. "Who do you want to dance with?"