• Promising •

"Where's the honor in keeping secrets from your brothers?!" Raph said, leaping down into the alley and glaring accusingly at Leonardo.

"It's called compartmentalization of information!" Leo shot back, sheathing his katanas for a moment to peek around the corner at Shredder's lair, "And I didn't think it was that big of a deal, back then."

"I'd say meeting a girl who had mysteriously become a target of the Foot Clan is a pretty big deal," Donnie said, landing atop the dumpster beside the leader and tracing his fingers over the buttons and grooves on his bo.

"And she's coming to live with us?" Michelangelo asked, hanging upside down from the fire escape ladder.

"She's WHAT?!" Raph exploded.

"Shh! Mikey, you weren't supposed to say anything!" Leo muttered, scowling at the youngest terrapin, who only smiled apologetically.

"More secrets? Why am I not surprised?"

"Shh! Can't you see we're on a patrol? We're supposed to stay silent!"

"As much as I'd like to listen to the two of you getting at each other's throats," Donatello cut in, "I think we have a bit bigger problem at the moment."

"What do you mean, bigger..." the leader trailed off when all four turtles caught the distinct sound of scales against pavement. The team turned, weapons poised and ready to strike, as the serpentine mutant appeared from the shadows.

"Karai!" Mikey exclaimed as the kunoichi morphed into her human form, "Where've you been, sis? We missed y--"

"Stay back," Leo ordered him, just when Mikey had begun to step forward.

"I promise, I'm not here to fight," She promised, her voice soft and the complete opposite of her usual confident tone.

"Sure you aren't," Raph replied sarcastically, "Just like you weren't going to Shredder's lair a year ago to rejoin him. Funny, how easy it is for you to break your promises."

Karai drew her sword, making the other ninjas tense in preparation for battle. Instead, she kneeled and laid the blade at Leonardo's feet.

"What do you want, Karai?" He asked, his eyes narrowing at the girl.

"I'm here to warn you."

"Why should we believe a word coming out of your mouth, Princess?" Raph snapped.

"Shut up, meathead," Donnie mumbled, "Warn us about what?"

Karai's amber eyes shifted back to Leo.

"You need to stay away from Faline Derrickson. She's dangerous, to you and your family."

"Faline Derrickson...? Her, isn't that the girl Leo's bringing to -- ouch!" Mikey was silenced by a whack on the head from the hothead of the group.

The blue clad turtle's jaw clenched stubbornly. "No way."

"Please, you have to listen to me. It's the only way for the Hamato Clan to remain safe!"

"When have we ever been safe? Fae's not dangerous in the least bit. She's an innocent. And we're not stepping back just so that the Foot can hurt her."

"Fae? What are they, besties?" Raph grumbled.

Mikey whispered, "Dude, you really need a filter -- ow!"

"They'll kill you," Karai interjected.

"It's not the first time Shredder has threatened to take us down," Leo reasoned.