I guess Nathan is a big influence in this new facet to her persona that I’ve never seen before. His demeanor has this calming effect on people and has inevitably pacified the uproarious side of Alex.

The function room is tastefully decorated with silver and blue drapes, elegant table setting, and gorgeous floral arrangements. I learn from Nathan that this event is for both their family and closest friends to get to know each other before the wedding.

By seven, the event is in full swing. I realize Alex and Nathan had this many family members when the entire hall gets filled with most of their relatives. DJ Jerome from Pop FM is hosting the event, and I have to say he’s quite witty enough to get the attention of the odd mix of bagets and oldies in the audience.

Oh and it doesn’t hurt that he’s cute, too. I find myself noticing how he practically stands out from the crowd with his tall frame and mestizo looks. His clean cut appearance— from his short, well-kept hair, almond eyes, fair complexion, down to his smart casual attire of dark jeans and polo shirt—makes most of the women in the room (myself included) look at him with open appreciation.

I’m back in my seat after a dance number with Lolo Felipe, Alex’s grandfather, just as Mike arrives. I wave him over to our table where I catch up with his stories about work. I look up from chatting with Mike to see Elaine being carted off to the dance floor by Lolo Felipe.

I have to admit, it’s kind of fun to be with everyone on such an occasion. I feel so left behind with how everyone is doing. For instance, I learn about Mike’s recent promotion from team leader to assistant operations manager. He works at one of the top BPO companies in the country.

Hay naku, Erika. That’s yesterday’s news. You weren’t there when Mike treated us to dinner at Vikings,” Elaine says matter-of-factly after coming back from her dance.

Mike nods, taking a sip of flavored vodka. “Where were you back then? It’s very hard to get a hold of you these days. It’s a miracle Lorra was able to get you to be here; we really thought you’d skip this one out.”

I feel my face turn red. “Sorry guys, it’s just that I’ve been very busy at work that I had to take some of it home just to lessen the pile.” Well, it wasn’t completely a lie. I have been taking home some of the work, even if I didn’t need to.

“But hey, I got to hand it to you, girl,” Elaine nudges me on the side, her eyes gleaming mischievously. “That DJ has been eyeing you for quite a while.”

I blink. “Huh?”

Mike laughs. “Erika is the queen of the clueless when it comes to that.”

“I don’t get it. Is that a joke?” I have a rather slow pick up on jokes.

Elaine nudges me again, her mouth scrunching up to point to the direction of the stage. “Over there.”

I turn my head to where Elaine points out. I catch sight of the MC and our eyes meet for a second, and then he winks at me.

“Ha! Look at that! See, I told you that DJ has the hots for you.” Elaine exchanges high fives with Mike and they both have these knowing smiles on their faces. So much for subtlety.

“You guys are crazy.” I shake my head.

“I heard he’s a friend of Lorra’s. She’s the one who recommended the host for the party. You should ask her to introduce you,” says Elaine.

“You’re not dating anyone, right? Come on, what have you got to lose?” Mike prods, wiggling his bushy eyebrows.

I roll my eyes. These two have never changed—always teasing people whenever they get the chance.