Chapter 20

I had this brilliant idea of using my version of Bryson's short story for the writing contest. When I asked Bryson he was kind of reluctant.

"It's just, it's so personal," he told me at Grammy's cafe.

"I know, but think of it as letting go of the past completely," I said. 

I could tell he was thinking about it and leaning more to my side. 

"And plus, you got me. We can write new, happier, stories together," I gave him a smile. 

He smiled that smile back at me, "okay, fine." 

I rushed to the library to drop it off. I was relieved once they took it. I was a bit nervous about if I was going to win or not.

Lorise called me when I was home. "Hey Liberty, how's it going?" She sounded so calm. "It's good. How about for you? You sound relaxed."

"I am. I broke up with Robert."

"What!?"

"Yeah, he wasn't into me. I could tell. I guess I was just wishful thinking the whole time. Besides, sometimes you gotta work on yourself before you can have anyone else. I don't want to end up having to go through what my parents went through."

Wow. This was coming from Lorise? I was sure she would never let Robert go.

"A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do," I said.

"What about your parents?"

"I walked in on them both crying and hugging each other the other day. Now, they're doing marriage counseling. I'm relieved. I think they just had a dry spell in their relationship."

That was good news. "I mean if you're happy, I'm happy," I said.

"I am actually. Weird."

"Nothing weird about being happy," I told her.

"Liberty?" She called. "Yes?"

"I was wondering," she said slowly. She probably needed a favor. "What's up?" I asked.

"I'm going apartment hunting, and I was wondering if you would like to come along."

"Of course!" I said not sure what the big deal about that was.

"Iwasalsowonderingifyouwantedtoshareanapartmentwithme," she said really fast.

"Did I just hear you ask me to share an apartment with you?"

"Yeah," she replied nervously.

"Lorise..."

"Yeah," she said even more nervously.

"I would love to." She squealed over the phone.

"Yay! I've always dreamed of me and you living together in an apartment. It's like a never-ending sleepover!" I was excited myself. I wanted to get out of my house, but I also thought it would be cool to see my best friend every day.

"Tomorrow morning?" She asked. And we agreed on that.

***

Later, my parents came into my room. 

"Hey, Liberty!" My father said happily. "Hi," I said suspiciously putting down my journal.

We sat in silence for a bit. My mother then nudged my father in the side.

"Uh, well... I wanted to say that Bryson isn't so bad." I could tell he was embarrassed to say that. 

"See I told you!"

They were sitting on both sides of me. I felt like a little kid being told my punishment.

"We decided we'd take you to see your grandmother next week," my mother said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, we think it's time."

***

I told Bryson about everything from my moving in with Lorise to me meeting my grandma. We were on the phone for hours. 

"Wow, I'm jealous of Lorise."

"Oh, hush. One day, Bryson."

"I'm really meeting my grandmother, though," I said still shocked.

"How does that feel?" He asked.

"Considering the fact that she tried to drown me, I'm kind of scared." He laughed and I did too.

"Baby, she's just a little old lady now."

"She wasn't that young back then."

Who knew if she would try it again. What if she had gotten crazier after 17 years? 

"How was seeing James?" I asked him. Bryson had gone to meet up with James earlier at Grammy's. I was really curious and excited to hear about it. 

"It feels good. Knowing that I helped save someone's life feels really good. I didn't need him to buy me anything or even thank me; I just needed him to live." That made me smile.

"You know I'm so happy to be your girl?"

"Why is that?" I could hear the smile on his face.

"Because you're so sweet and caring," I said in a soft voice. 

"I'm fine too."

"Bryson, shut up!"

"That's not nice, baby."

"Your parents are proud of you too."

"I always wanted to be like my dad. He told me to be better than him, though."

His dad was a nice guy. At least that's what I got from when I met him. Bryson seemed a lot like him. 

"I'm proud of you too Miss Bell."

"Why so?"

"Because you're so smart, talented, and a beautiful person. I see you're growing every day. Mostly because of me." I scoffed. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked. 

"I didn't say nothin'."

***

Lorise and I went apartment hunting early in the day.

When I got home, my mother told me Addey was coming over. "Why don't you hang out with Lorise or Bryson?" She suggested. Oh, so now she trusts him.

So, I called Lorise and Bryson and said we should all go bowling.

"Yeah, I'll invite Martin!" Bryson said.

I rode with Lorise. Bryson and Martin came together.

"Martin this is Lorise." I introduced them to each other. Lorise was a little stand-offish more so than she usually was.

Martin was really funny. He would joke around with us all, tease us when we rolled badly, and boast about him being the best player. He would crack jokes about everyone he saw.

"I don't like him," Lorise said obviously really upset. Whenever he would open his mouth to say something she would groan and say, "here we go."

"What do you think?" Bryson asked me looking at Martin teasing Lorise as she tried to ignore him. 

Martin didn't seem to mind Lorise. He would tease her too. He teased her the most. In a fun way, not a mean way. I bet it was just the fact that Lorise hated being teased. No one usually jokes around with Lorise unless it's me.

I was sure Martin liked her.