A Change in the Game

Start from the beginning

I hesitate, watching her sleep with a small smile on her lips and tear streaks down her cheeks. Giving in to my impulses, I lean over and brush my lips over her warm cheek, lingering just long enough to inhale deeply of her intoxicating scent. When I stand to leave, I notice the day bed under the window. I know it is a lame excuse, but it is all I need. She may wake up and need me again. Besides, I seem to only be able to sleep when I can hear her breathing, so I tip-toe over the the day bed and stretch out. My head is just high enough to look out the window at the moon bathed grounds below. I look down at the awe inspiring sight and listen to Hermione's soft breathing and before I know it, I sink into unconsciousness, the taste of her still on my lips.

Hermione

I can tell that it is still early when I wake up, and though my eyes are still itchy with tiredness and I long for another couple hours sleep, my eyes refuse to cooperate and stay wide open. The room around me is still dark, with no more than a pre-dawn light beginning lighten the darkness in the room. I cuddle deeper under the covers, pressing my face into my pillow, but then a strange sound has my ears perked and stills my movement. For a moment it is silent, then it happens again. My head snaps up and spins around, searching the room. As soon as my gaze falls on the long, light shape streched across my day bed, memories of last night come flooding back. And the first thing that pops into my head is how did I get in my bed? I definitely didn't walk here, Malfoy must have carried me. Oh heII, I hope I wasn't too heavy, that would just be too embarrassing to handle.

Then thoughts of how kind and supportive he was push the embarrassment away and a warmth spreads through my chest, flowing through my veins until my whole body is warm and tingly. Thoughts of Ron start to intrude as I slip out of bed and pad over to his sleeping form. This time he is fully dressed, missing only his shoes. He is laying on his side with his back to the window, an arm under his head as his only pillow. Looking at him now, it is hard to remember why I ever hated him. Sighing, quietly, I walk back over to the bed, grab a blanket and return to the day-bed. Thankful that the bed is nice and wide, I lay gently down next to him, pulling the blanket over both of us. Guilt over Ron gnaws at me as I settle in, but I shove it away. Draco showed more feeling for me last night than Ron has since I met him. Besides, Ron doesn't even care enough to write me back. So shoving away the guilt, I close my eyes and focus on Draco's light snores, letting them pull me to unconsiousness.

Draco

When I wake up, sunlight is flooding through the window behind me. I can tell by the angles of the shadows that it is well past sunrise. In fact, I would guess it was after lunch time. For a second, I panic, but then I remember it is Saturday and relax. Then I realize where I am and I sit straight up. Hermione is nowhere to be seen, but I am still laying on her day bed. When I hear footsteps coming toward me, I quickly lay back down and close my eyes, though I am not quite sure why I feign sleep. I work hard to keep my breathing even and deep as I feel her getting closer. But I stop breathing completely when she sits next to me and then lays down, stretching out at my side. She is careful not to touch me, but I can feel the heat coming off of her in waves that engulf me.

I hazard a peek and see her back to me, a thick book supported in her hands, held out in front of her. I can't stay quiet any longer, I stretch out, brushing against her and break the comfortable silence.

"Well this is cozy," I say and she jumps about a mile in the air before falling off the bed onto the carpeted floor. Instantly contrite, I jump to my feet and hold out my hand to help her up. She places her small hand in mine and I pull her to her feet, holding onto her until she quits wobbling and gets her feet. I can't stop the small bark of laughter as I look at her. Her hair fell forward to cover her face when she fell and she looks insane. I reach out and swipe it away from her face. She stares up at me with wide, startled eyes and flushed cheeks.

"I...I'm...I'm sorry, I thought you were still asleep. I didn't mean to wake  you," she says, blood flooding her cheeks making them burn a crimson red. Another laugh escapes and she looks away from me. "Sorry," she repeats quietly and I realize I have hurt her feelings by laughing at her. She turns to walk out the door and I quickly grab her arm, effectively stopping her.

"No, don't leave. I am sorry I laughed," I tell her but she doesn't look at me.

"It's okay, I get it," she says so quietly I can barely hear her.

"No, you don't get it. I was laughing because of your pink cheeks and wide eyes. You looked so scared of me," I explain softly, trying to make her understand. When she doesn't look at me still, I tug her toward me and place a finger under her chin, forcing her face up until I can see her shining eyes. "It was nice Hermione. I never meant to give you any doubt about that. It was nice waking up with you next to me," I tell her, holding her gaze with my own.

"You weren't mad?" she asks.

"Being mad was the furthest emotion from my mind Hermione," I tell her, a bit surprised when my voice deepens and becomes rougher.

My hand that is still under her chin raises to cup her cheek. I brush my thumb over her bottom lip and I can feel her warm, shaky breath blow over my skin, raising goosebumps over my arms and back. I slip my hand back until it is resting at the back of her neck and pull her softly toward me. She steps closer and closer until she is less than an inch from me. I can feel her shaking as her trembling hands lift up and come to a rest on my chest.

"You don't have to be afraid of me Hermione. I won't hurt you," I whisper huskily, more than a little shaky myself but never so sure of what I wanted.

"I'm not afraid," she whispers, but I can hear the insecurity in her voice.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" I ask, slipping my free arm around her waist and closing the last inch between us. I can feel every inch of her body pressed flush against mine and I can feel her pounding pulse in her neck. Her wide, shining brown eyes are locked on mine and I couldn't look away if I wanted to.

Her head lifts almost imperceptibly in what I take as a nod and her tongue slips out unconsciously, wetting her bottom lip. That is all it takes to break my control. Never once closing my eyes or breaking her gaze, I lean closer until I can feel her breath brushing over my face. There is less than an inch of space between our lips and I hesitate just long enough to lock the sight in my memory before I close only space remaining between us.