"Ready for lunch?" he asks, startling me out of the fascinating world of planetary sciences.

I nod and hand him his book back.

When we get to the cafeteria, the smells make my stomach flip.  I force myself to eat a bowl of lentil soup but can't even think about eating anything else.

"You alright, Sang?" Kota questions, looking at my bowl and trembling soup spoon. 

I swallow and push my tray away.  "I think I'm just nervous.  It's been a long time since I've been able to take a ballet class, and I'm afraid that I'll fall flat on my face or be laughed out of there." 

He puts his wrists on the table top, palm up and wiggles his fingers at me, inviting me to hold them.  I remind myself that he is my friend, and that I trust him, and I lightly place my hands in his.   His smile is radiant.  "I'm sure that you'll be fine.  You have a natural grace about you.  Even when you walk, you seem to be dancing."  He gives me a little squeeze and then clears the table.  He looks at his watch.  "You want a ride to the class?  So that you don't have to walk in the slush?  It's 2:30 right now, so if we hang out for a bit, I could drop you off on my way to work."

I didn't know that he has a job. 

"If it's not too much trouble, that would be great.  Where do you work?"

He flushes and fidgets with his jacket zipper for a minute.  "I'm just helping a friend out with a project that he's working on."

Of course he is.  That's the kind of person Dakota Lee is.

We chat about his friends as we walk to his car and I'm laughing at the antics of the two that are brothers.  "How did he manage to shave off his brother's sideburns while he was asleep?  Surely you would notice something like that?" 

Kota snorts and shakes his head as he unlocks an old beige sedan.  "You'd think, but Luke is really sneaky.  And North snores like walrus with a head cold.  I didn't realize how much your hair, or lack thereof, changes your appearance.  Gabriel was almost as mad as North."

I give him directions to the dance studio, and we're there in a matter of minutes.  Before I get out of the car, he tears a page from one of his notebooks and writes something down on it.  "This is my phone number, Sang.  If you need a ride home, or ever just want to hang out, you can contact me.  I'll always answer or get right back to you."  I take the paper and fold it reverently.  I have a friend, and now I have a way to get a hold of him.

"Thank you, for the ride, for lunch.  For everything."  I get out and hurry to get out of the cold.

***

An hour and a half later, I'm sweaty and euphoric.  Class was better than I could have ever imagined.  The combinations were more intense than I've ever experienced, and I nailed every single one of them.  I learned how to make my fouette turns more dynamic, and we even got to do some partnering at the end of class.

I'm in the dressing room with the four other girls from class and everyone is joking and chatting with one another.  The redhead who stood opposite me at the barre comes over to me and offers her hand. 

"Hi, I'm Blair.  You're really amazing!  You're coming to auditions tomorrow, right?  You definitely should.  We need you.  You have to come.  I'm sure that Miss Diane will talk to you as soon as you step out there."  She takes a deep breath.  I'm impressed.  She talks a mile a minute, but it's endearing, rather than annoying.  "I'm sorry!  I tend to yammer.  You're Shane?  Is that what I heard in class?"

"No," I correct her, "I'm Sang.  It's nice to meet you Blair.  You're really good too." I smile at her.  "You all are so welcoming.  Thank you."  She looks like she's maybe a year or two older than me, and I wonder if she's a student too.