Seeing Your Past Again - Part 2

Synopsis - Nate and Sam see their father for the first time in many years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sam's phone rang again an hour later. The noise startled him as he was in a thought process. He was thinking about the years he had with his family before his mum died and his dad had to surrender him and Nate to the State. It happened so long ago, it almost felt like a blur to Sam.

He then answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey. I'm outside your house now."

"OK. Hold on." He stopped the phone call and made his way outside, where his brother Nate was waiting.

"Took you long enough." Sam complained as he got into the car.

"Yeah, sorry." Nate said. He then started the car and drove to the hospital.

There was silence between the brothers. The situation they were in was something they never thought they would be in.

Soon, Sam broke the silence. "So what happened?" he asked.

Nate stayed silent for a while before answering. "Brad told me...that dad was in an accident. Quite a...faulty one. One that could..."

"Could what?" Sam asked urgently, desperate to know what happened.

"Could...could..cost his life." Nate said with difficulty. Sam fell onto the back of his chair, placing a hand on his face.

"Damn it." he whispered. He then turned to see his brother in a different light. His eyes seemed to have turned into glass, with a tear falling down his face. Sam hated to see Nate this way. He remembered when he was like this when their mum died.

"Hey, Nathan." Sam patted Nate's back. "It's going to be OK. We'll see him." he assured him. Surprisingly to Sam, this made Nate smiled a bit before focusing on the road again.

. . .

Nate and Sam were at the waiting room in the hospital. Brad was with their father at the moment, and there was a strict rule in the hospital that only one group at a time.

Nate kept staring at the floor while tapping his feet. He hasn't felt this way in a long time. It wasn't a good feeling.

"Nathan, if you keep on doing that, I swear.." Sam said quite sternly.

Nate sighed. "Sorry, Sam." Sam didn't like to be too stern on Nate, especially in this situation, but the tapping was sure going to drive him crazy.

"Sam?" Nate began.

"Yeah?"

"What if...what if dad..doesn't recognise us?"

Sam's heart felt like it had stop by the sound of that question. "How can you think like that? Of course, he will recognize us!"

"I know. I know. It's just...it's been a long time and.."

"Look, Nathan." Sam interrupted. "I've seen many people like us who see their parents after many years. And every time, the parent recognise their child. There is no way that dad will forget about us. Don't worry, okay?"

"Yeah, you're right." Nate said. Soon after, a door opened, which caused Nate to stand up of his seat quickly, followed by Sam. Then, Brad came out through the door.

"So, can we see him now?" Nate asked with urgency.

Brad smiled a bit. "You can, but only for about 10 minutes. He's got an operation soon." Both Sam and Nate nodded their heads in response. Nate could feel his hands shaking. He took deep breaths as he and Sam made their way through the door.

Nate felt like the world had stopped as he saw his father, lying on a hospital bed with tubes coming from his arms. His eyes were closed as he was asleep.

Sam came closer towards the bed and gently shook his hand, which cause Richard to slightly open his eyes.

"Hello?" he said with confusion.

"Hey..dad." Richard tried to adjust his eyes once he heard the word "dad". Once he saw Sam, he felt a tear running down his cheek.

"Samuel?" Sam nodded in response.

Wait, where's..." Before Richard could finish the response, Sam pointed at Nate.

"Nathan?" Richard could feel more tears coming from his eyes. Nate couldn't hide his tears as well as he ran up to his father to give a long awaited hug. Sam soon did the same. After many years, they finally get the reunion they've been waiting for.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hey guys. Sorry for the long wait. I'm back at school, so there's been quite a lot of work. But I'll try to update as much as I can.