"All I did was talk to her." I say in my defence.

Tom shrugs. "Braden and Taylor, that's harsh." he says.

"It's not harsh. I don't even care." I say, pulling up my socks.

"If you say so." he says.

"I do." I say, dropping it. When I'm finished, I put on my skates, then walk out. I step onto the ice, skating around a bit to get loose. I notice Coach and Taylor standing at centre ice.

Taylor smiles at me once I approach her. "I need your help with some English questions." I tell her.

"What book?" she asks.

"King Lear. Have you read it?"

She nods. Good. "Can you stay and help me after?" I ask.

She looks around. "Depends. Are you gonna stay and help me, or are you just gonna leave again?" she asks, referring to after Monday's practice.

"I won't leave." I assure her. She nods, and I skate away, not before being called back by her.

"Can you make sure to... not tell anyone that I can't play?" she asks, lowering her voice.

"Why?" I say.

"I don't know. I'm embarrassed." she shrugs, looking down. On Saturday the guys had asked me why Taylor wasn't practicing with us, and I just made up an excuse, so that was good.

"You don't think I'm embarrassed too?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

"Wow. Thanks." she says dryly, and I skate off.

"Let's go, hustle everyone." I call to the guys skating on the ice. "Partner up. We're gonna do some one-on-ones." I say.

As I'm about to skate over to Tom, I'm interrupted. "Do you want to be my partner?" Maria asks me. Her accent is so mesmerizing.

"Yeah, sure." I say. She was a good player, what was the harm?

Both of us take our sticks and grab a puck. We work on stick handling and challenge each other. "So you are the captain?" she asks me.

I nod. "That's me."

"So you're really good?" she asks. I chuckle.

"I'd hope so." I shrug.

"You are. I've seen you play." she smiles. I hope I'm not blushing.

"So, uh, why are you here? In the U.S?" I ask her. She had confirmed my thoughts today at lunch that she was born and raised in Russia.

"It's for a one year exchange program. I'm thinking of staying longer, maybe." she says. Her English was really good, for an exchange student.

"Yeah, you definitely should." I say, passing her the puck.

"Maybe. They have good hockey here." she says.

"Well, you're really good. Better than most people on the team." I tell her.

"I'm trying to be the best." she laughs. "Maybe not as good as you, though." I was trying my hardest to keep my feelings intact, but Maria made it hard. Really hard.

"I definitely think you can do it. You're unique. I've never seen anyone play like you before." I tell her.

"Thanks." she says, a smile taking over her face.

"Sharks!" Coach Jamie yells. "Line up. We're practicing two-on-ones." he says.

Noah takes his place in net, and all of us go to the centre and form two lines. I line up with Maria so we could be on the same line.