Chapter 1: Massacre

Start from the beginning

After his small session of insanity had ended, he quickly composed himself, adjusting the cloak on his shoulders and wiping away the stained blood on his cheeks with his thumb, before turning on his heels.

And before he disappeared completely from my sight, he looked over his shoulder, sending a sharp glare in my direction, before turning and walking off once more.

-

I still sat in the same cramped den in the mountains, the same place where I had watched hundreds of thousands massacred in only five minutes. The Sky Dragon-Slayer's head was still perched in my lap, her eyes still shut close. Her Exceed, Charle, had curled up besides her, a worried expression stilled on her face.

A/N: I know I didn't add any details of Lucy's whereabouts in the beginning. I meant to do that. There is nothing that you've missed, don't worry.

My mind was crowded with questions about what had occurred. My heart still beat frantically, still frightened at the memory.

Acnologia had known. He knew I was watching. He knew I saw everything. He knew I was there. Yet, he spared me? He killed all of those people, but not me?

I could not seem to muster up any realistic and logical answer to his actions. Was this some form of torture? To leave me with memories that would forever haunt me? That would consume the peaceful nights with gory memories, that would leave me completely distraught afterwards?

The light outside was slowly vanishing, the source dipping behind the massive mountains that bordered Magnolia. Taking a glance outside, it was almost impossible to see anything that was a foot out. The bitter smell of decaying bodies and blood lingered in the air, and I tried my best to diminish it by waving my hand in front of my face a couple of times, a sour expression on my face.

I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind, reminding myself that there was a war going on and my comrades were involved. Not to mention that only one of the twelve was a challenge for a dozen of us. I felt disgusted with myself to be concerned about my well being, when, in reality, no harm was brought to me.

Frantically, I began to worry about my closer friends in the guild. Gray and Juvia... the last I had seen of them, they were squaring off against one of the twelve, Invel. That man... his Ice Magic outweighed Gray by thousand's.

Gray and Juvia were undoubtedly some of the strongest mages in Fairy Tail- truly fearsome if you combined them together. But, the Alvarez mages were not like our regular opponents. They were inhumane. They were worst than the Demons of Tartaros.

There was also Erza. She had been in bad shape the first time I had seen her. It looked like somebody had dragged her body through hell and back. She had scored us our first defeat of one of the twelve, but had suffered great damage again from it. She must have been in another fight at some other point, since there were fresher bruises and cuts and wounds. Erza can take care of herself, but in a fight like this, you would want the help in a fight.

Then there was Wendy and Charle. I was a bit concerned about them in the first place; Wendy was strong, without a doubt, but her magic was used for defense/support, not offense. I know she had been improving on her fighting abilities over the one year gap, and was much more capable than she was before, but I still worried. And Charle would throw herself in harm's way if it meant protecting Wendy.

After finding Wendy unconscious, with the right side of her stomach torn and bleeding heavily, along with tons of other injuries, and Charle collapsed a couple feet away, her head releasing a thick stream of blood, and the area around then completely annihilated, the fear for the safety of my comrades had arisen drastically.