Chapter 22 - For No More Farewells

The mulch is crunching silently under her feet while she is walking through her beloved forest. The day is very sunny and Aethernia feels light and almost happy. She holds an axe in right hand and a bunch of hyperitum in the left one.
It's been a year since she met Tobias Sammet on her way. She learned to cope with her longing and now she relishes the memory of his beautiful soul and body. Furthermore, the gostlights disappeared completely.
Aethernia walks up the stairs to the porch. She likes her house in summer, it's surrounded by colourful flowers and outstanding nature. When she reaches the porch, she freezes.
Someone is sitting on a stem, reading a book calmly.
„A petite man with fair, messy hair. Oh God, he looks like...!”
But Aethernia doesn't see his face as she turned his back on her. This gives her a huge advantage. She creeps to him almost without sound and puts the axe blade on his back.
- Don't even dare to move – she whispers – otherwise I will hit.
After a few seconds of silence she hears a firendly but a bit repenant voice:
- It seems that I missed it more than I thought...
The axe slips away from her fist and the blade cuts one of the floor boards in two pieces.
- It's impossible – she sums up.
But he stands up and turns to her so she can realise that in this sick place everything is possible.
- I know. I gave you a promise. And I kept almost the whole promise. There was only one, little lie. I cannot live without seeing your face. I'm sorry.
Sudden explosion of irrepressible happiness bursts her soul into thousands blissful pieces. She pounces and kisses him wildly and remorselessly. The moths in her stomach ressurect as he embraces her waist, lifts her up and repays with the passionate kiss.
- Tobi...! - she screams finally when the kiss is over – You are here again! It's the happiest day of my life!
- So... you aren't angry at me? After all the things I've done to you? - he asks a little surprised, still hugging her gently.
- I tried, believe me. But... somehow I can't. You are too special to me, my little child.
Aethernia touches the birthmark on his left cheek and looks deeply into his eyes. She can see his soul inside and she isn't afraid to look at it. She feels safe, even though she knows that her phobias will acompany her to the end of her days, she can be herself in a company of another person.
„Very special person”, she thinks.
- I came to visit you. Maybe to spend a few days here – he says with a vibrant laughter but then he becomes very serious.
- Aethie?
- Hm?
- Would you go with me? You know, to see the world, et cetera, and so forth?
Aethernia smiles sadly although her sould is happy as a child's.
- You know the answer, Tobi. I will never leave my place. Only here I can feel happy and safe.
He nods and his eyes shine like two beautiful stars.
- All right. I expected it so I prepared myself. Aethie, would you accept me to visit you at least once a month in your little hermitage? Would you tolerate a person like me here? I don't want to change your lifestyle and your character because you are beautiful the way you are and I respect it. The choice is yours. Just say 'yes' or 'no' and I will stay or go away.
She fondles his face with tenderness and smiles so skittishly that Tobi frowns in shock.
- I wouldn't think it up in a better way.
He kisses her again and she feels that he is totally relieved and joyful right now.
- My angel – he says with delight – I knew you woud agree. I knew it!
Aethernia holds his hand and draws him to the front door. When she opens it, he tells:
- You defeated ghostlights. Has anything else changed from that day?
- Sort of – she responds with a smile – It's less dark now.
And they come in, ready for a new, better life.