three

school. the worst place to be. but, sometimes, things are good at school. for tyler, things could be better. he was already the joke of the school for being gay. even though most of the popular guys were gay, but they didn't care much about that, now did they? he enjoyed the time he got to spend with melanie instead of being harassed.

but there was a problem.

tyler had a crush on one of the popular guys. he knew that he shouldn't have felt that way for someone whose friends bullied him constantly, but what could he do? with nice doe brown eyes and that messy, colourful hair, there was no way that tyler wouldn't have fallen for him sooner or later. but he had to keep it a secret, even from mel. who knows what could have happened if word got out? plus, he had a boyfriend, right?

nope.

ryan apparently cheated on him. so now tyler actually was allowed to like him. but still, he shouldn't have liked him. it was wrong to like someone who had just ended a relationship. but for some reason, he couldn't have brought himself to get over his little crush on josh. it wasn't just something you could convince yourself to do. he did have to at least try though, right?

well, the whole thing started with a little bet brendon made with josh.

"i bet you that you couldn't become tyler joseph's best friend." brendon challenged through a mouthful of pork.

josh looked at brendon with an eyebrow raised. "really? do you have such little faith in my people skills?" he said with a slight smirk.

brendon shrugged sarcastically at josh's comment. "maybe i do. i guess we'll never really know."

"oh, it's on. you have no idea what i'm capable of, brenny boy." josh accepted the challenge with a smug grin across his dry and cracking lips.

josh took a sip of water from a glass next to his dinner plate before taking yet another bite of his mashed potatoes.

"you know, if i didn't know any better, i'd say that you want me to fall for him and then move on from ryan. i'm not ready to do that just yet." josh said. brendon shook his head quickly.

"no, no, no. that's not at all what i meant for you to do. i just wanted you to have a friend, that's all. one that's not already buds with the rest of us." brendon assured him, causing josh to heave out a large sigh.

"alright, fine. i believe you. just promise me that if anything goes wrong, the bet is off."

"what? no! that's not the point of a bet. you have to do it, no matter what happens. and i'll even put money on the line." brendon smirked once again, trying to convince josh of the bet.

josh heard the word 'money' and instantly gained interest. he wasn't exactly the richest person in the world. he didn't have a job, he lived off of his parents, and he couldn't buy himself or his friends nice things without breaking the budget. the house he lived in was being paid for by his mom and dad. he had no claims to the property, whatsoever. 

"how much money are we talking about here?"

"two hundred."

that was a stretch. if josh lost the bet, he wouldn't have a chance to buy himself food. but the chance to receive two hundred buckaroos was exciting to him. so he took it upon himself.

brendon was holding out his hand in front of him to seal the deal. josh took his and shook it. that was it. the deal was settled. josh had to make friends with the shy kid that always sat at the back of class. easy enough, right?

---

tyler sat annoyed in his seat, fidgeting every once in a while. he was uncomfortable, that was obvious. but the reason? it was a strange one to him.

joshua dun, the most popular guy in school, was staring him down as if wanting to talk to ty but couldn't. like he didn't know how to initiate conversation. so, naturally, tyler simply ignored the doe brown eyes on him.

---

later that day, in the cafeteria at lunchtime, tyler sat at a table with melanie, troye and dallon, all of them eating peacefully.

but, of course, they just had to be interrupted.

"hey. mind if i sit with you guys?" a voice asked, causing tyler to look to the source. it was josh dun.

tyler was confused, to be blunt. he had no idea why josh, the most popular guy at school, wanted to sit with him and his friends. but he didn't want to be rude, so he just nodded.

josh slid onto the seat across from ty and next to dallon. whatever conversation they were having ended now that josh sat down. 

"c'mon, you guys looked like some cool people to talk to, so i wanted to eat with you. and besides, ryan's sitting over where i usually sit." josh sighed and took a bite from his ham and cheese sandwich.

melanie looked around at her friend and twirled her hair around a finger. "well, you're welcome to sit here for as long as you'd like." she said with a smile, making josh smile in return.

"why, thank you..."

"melanie. melanie martinez." she looked around at her friends. "why don't you guys introduce yourself?"

"troye sivan." the dark-haired, blue-eyed boy said cheerfully.

"dallon weekes." a slightly lighter haired boy with striking greyish eyes said.

"wait, don't tell me..." josh said. "you're...tyler joseph?"

tyler just nodded and continued to eat quietly.

---

thanks for reading! be sure to vote and comment!

-wakeupcrybaby