Chapter 1

A/N: Picture above is Denny <3 Enjoy! xx

Denny got out of bed at promptly 9:35. it had only taken her 6 minutes longer than she had anticipated to talk herself into it. But here she was, jammies tucked underneath her gown, approaching her parent's bedroom.

"Morning mom," she sheepishly began as she pushed passed the door and made her way into their bedroom.

"Denny-Rhys? What time is it? I must have over slept." Her mother looked slightly disorientated as she struggled to get out of bed.

"Hey no. It's only 9:30. Stay in bed a little longer." Denny went over and threw the covers back over her mother. 

Two years ago, her mother found out that she had the Huntington's disease gene. It was only recently, however, that it began to show, and the fatigue and confusion, though mild, was a cause of concern for all.

"9:30? Really Denny-Rhys? You expect me to believe that you got up before the afternoon sun?" The glint of mischief still present along the tiredness in her mother's eyes.

"Well it is," Denny crossed her arms, feigning offence, before jumping under the covers next to her mother and brushing the wispy raven hair that trickled across the pillows. Denny often wished genetics had given her this hair, instead of her strawberry blonde hair, but she was equally content with her doe brown eyes that mirrored her mothers.

"So what's got you up so early? You're still on holiday," Her mother asked with her eyes still closed. Denny took a deep breath and went over the speech she had rehearsed in her head all night.

"Well you see, Cole messaged me. And he wanted to know if I wanted to see his gig today," Denny began cautiously. She knew how protective her family was. She was barely ever allowed out unless her parents knew exactly where she was at all times. And even then, she still had to plead for days! The fact that she was a college student who had to live at home was frustrating at first, but Denny eventually learnt to accept it.

"Oh, Cole!" Her mother opened her eyes to smirk at Denny, "Go have fun."

Denny sat up instantly, grinning so widely the Cheshire cat would be envious!

"Just like that? I don't have to talk you into it?" This had never happened before. She knew her mother loved Cole, but still. This was unheard of.

"Live, my Denny-Rhys," Her mother sat up too and cupped her cheek. "That smile, that smile is all I want to see. And Cole is a good kid. So go have fun."

Denny smiled, but inside she wanted to be angry. She hated when her mother spoke like that, as if she was going to die soon. Instead of reacting with angry tears, she kissed her mother gently on the cheek and went off to get ready.

For Denny, showering was one of her favorite parts of the day because it made her feel like she was walking in the rain. Fast, hot rain. But rain nonetheless. It was here she played out stories in her head and sang lyrics no one else would ever hear.

Denny loved reading the way most girls loved looking for boys. She was sure that as long as she had a book by her side she would never need a relationship. Fictional boys were made for falling in love with. Boys in reality? Not so much. 

Denny loved writing too, but often lacked the inspiration to finish a story. Her laptop was flooded with one chapter documents that no one would ever see. Fantasies of love - realistic ones - that she hoped would one day come true.

The love interests in her stories were never guys who did grand gestures of romance. Instead she wrote about falling in love with someone who would notice the little things, and proclamations of love were tailored for her characters - not something you would find on Pinterest.

Her shower was over way too soon for her liking, and she begrudgingly got out. Looking at the time, it was 10:04. Cole said he'd be there at 11 so she knew she had more than enough time, throwing on her favorite plaid shirt, beanie and chucks, Denny looked herself over in the mirror and smiled. Sure, she wasn't the hottest girl around. But she was cute. And she loved that she could dress like herself around Cole.

She quickly put on minimal make up (literally just mascara) and headed downstairs to hang out with her favorite person. Alec was her 16 year old brother and the 4 year age gap had no impact on their friendship. They were best friends. As was routine, she headed into the kitchen before going looking for Alec. He was exactly where he always was - on the couch watching reruns of Recess.

"Hey Squirt," she smiled at him before passing him one of the bowls of cereal she had fixed him.

"You do know I'm about 3 inches taller than you, right?" Alec rolled his eyes before digging into his Cheerios.

"You look nice," Alec raised an eyebrow. It took him half a bowl of cereal before he even looked away from the TV and at her, "Well not exactly nice. But I mean, you're not in PJ's and your hair isn't doing that thing where it sticks out in all directions. 

"Are you going to see him? Denny, I hate him. Actual hatred," Alec's tone had taken a venomous edge as he narrowed his eyes at her. This time Denny rolled her eyes.

"Shut up, you ass. And if you must know, I'm going to see Cole."

"Did you tell mom?"

Before she could answer, they heard a car crash. Not an actual one. Denny's ringtone was Mick Foley's theme song from WWE. Seeing Cole's name flash across the screen, Alec picked it up.

"Eloc, my man, whats up?"

"Sup Cela," Cole responded as Denny laughed at their stupidity. Only these two chumps would find spelling their names backwards the perfect nickname. "Is Denny ready yet?"

"Dude she's not a girl. She takes like 5 minutes to get ready. She's been sitting her for 20-"

"Okay that's enough you too," Denny snorted before pulling her phone away from Alec, "Loser, where are you? And what did I say about being on your phone while driving?"

"You said I shouldn't text and drive. You didn't say anything about me calling."

"Cole Elliot Parker! How many times must I tell you this? What if some idiot on the road tries being smart around you and something happens? You cant mess with my life like that!"

"Weirdo, relax. Take a second and breathe. I'm not driving. I'm outside waiting for you," Cole laughed at her misery.

"You're such an ass," she mumbled before cutting the call and heading out. "I'll be back later Alec. Take care of mom."

"Don't I always?"