prologue

"Niall. James. Horan."

Niall looked up from his cereal mid-bite. Louis was glaring at him from the doorway to the kitchen with his arms crossed tensely across his chest. Niall chewed his food and swallowed nervously, unsure of what he could have possibly done to invoke Louis' anger.

"Did you get a girl pregnant?" Louis accused, holding up a little white plastic stick that was a bit too familiar for Niall's liking.

"No!" he protested.

"Then why do you have a positive pregnancy test in your flat?"

Judging by Louis' expression, Niall could tell that the older lad was not going to let the subject drop, nor was he going to accept whatever flimsy lie Niall could spit out.

"It's mine," the blond whispered, breaking eye contact and biting at his thumbnail.

"What?"

"It's mine," he said a bit louder, glancing up at Louis and quickly looking down again at his knees.

"Yours?"

Niall groaned and leaned back into the sofa cushions with his eyes to the ceiling. "Yes, Louis. Mine. I'm pregnant."

He heard footsteps approaching and then felt the other side of the couch dip down as Louis took a seat heavily.

"Ni?"

Niall couldn't face Louis. He didn't want to know what the other lad thought of him, didn't want to see disgust on his face or disbelief or disappointment.

He felt an arm snake over his shoulders and a hand on his arm push him until he tipped to the side and rested his head at the base of Louis' neck. Niall squeezed his eyes shut against the tears that threatened to cascade down his cheeks.

"What happened, Niall? Tell me what's going on." Louis rubbed circles on Niall's arm with his thumb.

Niall sucked in a shaky breath and gathered his thoughts so he could tell his story.