Part 3

Erin's POV

I get in the passenger seat of Kim's car and she looks at me with a questioning look. I know what she's thinking, I NEVER let anyone drive. The only person that I let drive 100% of the time is Voight, and that's cause he's Voight. Even Antonio and Olinsky get stuck riding shot gun when I get partnered with them. Hell, even when Kim and I take these days together I always insist on driving.
But what can I say, Jay's away, and considering the fact that I had a hard time driving home from the airport in a safe manner, I'll let the whole driving thing go. Just this once.
"So," Kim starts, "I think I know just what you need."
"And what's that?" I ask"
"Ice cream, popcorn, and chick flicks..."
She says while shooting me a side ways glance from the drivers seat. I can't help but grin at the thought, that does sound pretty damn good right about now. I know it's a weird combination, but I love popcorn and ice cream together...I think it has something to do with the sweet and salty and warm and cold combinations. I'm kind of surprised that Kim remembered that I liked that though-I don't even remember when I mentioned it to her, or why I would've. Nonetheless, I want all that. Now.
So, I easily agree with Kim and a smirk spreads across her face because that was exactly the answer she was expecting.
We drive the last few blocks to Kim's apartment singing along to the radio, and for a few minutes, I forget all about everything. About Jay leaving. About that sickening feeling I felt when I left him at the airport. About my breakdown I had when I got home. About the dog tags that are around my neck. I forget all about that. All I can think about is how happy I am in this moment.
When I'm bright back to reality by Kim when she puts the car in park, the happiness doesn't a fade. And I start to think that maybe, just maybe, I'll be alright.
Kim confirms this fact by getting me to smile yet again when she sees a yellow car and lightly punches me while yelling "Safety!" I laugh and lightly hit her back anyways cause why not, and before we know it we are at Kim's apartment door.
Before Kim can even pull out her keys to unlock the door, it is swung open and a very eager Sylvie is pulling us inside to Kim's apartment, which currently has loud dance music playing and several bottles of wine on the counter. The entire site, Sylvie dancing to the music, Reece in the corner with a concerned look on her face, and Kim yelling about how we were going to blow he speakers is comical, to say the least. And what else to do in a comical situation do you don't join in, so I drop my purse to the ground and tow off my boots before joining Brett in her dance party for one.
When I first join, Sylvie can't hide the surprise from her face, but it doesn't take long for it to give way to a giant smile. For some time, we dance by ourselves before we finally convince Kim and Sarah to join. And that's all it took for me to be happy again.

Next morning, Kim's apartment
I woke up to the sound of someone running into something followed by a string of profanities. I roll over and moan, cause it feels early and I'm still tired. "Sorry...I thought you were sleeping!" A voice whisper yells to me. I roll back over to face the voice, and pop one eye open to see who it is. It's Brett, who fell asleep on one of the couches in Kim'd apartment. She has two of them and two big sitting chairs arranged around a coffee table in her living room, but it looks like last night we pushed the coffee table out of the way and dragged s couple mattresses from who knows where I to the living room so we could have s Netflix marathon.
In the middle of it all is Sylvie, who is attempting to written the lamp that she knocked over when she tried to quietly get up and start moving. When she stands back up as states at me for second, I remember that she asked me a question.
"Well, I was. But that was before you decided to attack the lamp" I say with a small smile.
"Yeah, sorry about that. This damn lamppost really wanted to fight and all I wanted to do was quietly get up so of make shift on time." She says while throwing her hands up in the air in s what-can-you-do gesture.
"What time is your shift?" I ask.
"At 10:00, so an hour from now" she tells me.
I'm surprised that with how late we stayed up I am able to get up this early end not feel too sleepy. I could get up right now, and not even feel so tired. Which is s good thing, because I go to be at the district for 12:00 and I don't have any work stuff here.
Brett, who has quietly been going around collecting her things, stands by the door, ready to go. I do the appropriate thing to do and get up and walk over to her. In my sleep-drunk state I stumble s big, but I eventually get there.
"Easy now," Sylvie says when she sees me stumble. "We didn't have that much wine last night," she jokes.
"What can I say, it's appears to be that I can't hold my wine...maybe I should just go for whiskey next time. That usually doesn't give me too much of s problem," I kid back to her.
Brett laughs, and is interrupted by an alarm going off on her phone. She looks at it, and sees that it is the alarm telling her to get movie so she isn't late. I move towards her and initiate a hug, something I don't do, and thank her for being there for me last night. She assured me it's not s big deal and would do it again in a heartbeat. I smile at her kindness, and then she turns and leaves.
I check to clock and see that I'm supposed to be at the district in a couple hours. Hank tried giving me today off, but u don't think I could handle being alone. So in just taking a half day that starts a couple hours before Burgesses shift.
I decide to go back to my place to get ready for shift, so I gather what's mine and tidy up s bit. Kim and Reece are still peacefully sleeping on the mattresses on the ground, so I leave a quick note on the counter for them to see when they wake up. Then I lock the door behind me and head out.

Okay, as always, the first order of business is to thank all of you amazing people for all of the comments and for voting. It means so much, the more you comment and vote, the more obligated I feel to write, which means more updates for you🎉 and second, my apologies for not updating in like and eternity-life keeps me pretty busy.  But you know I have time to watch Chicago PD every Wednesday night!!! It's only two episodes in and it's season 4 FTW!! Comment on here thoughts about the season so far and we'll chat...I hope, tags something I'd love to do. Please comment and vote on this part to let me know how I'm doing. Idk when the next update will be, I don't wanna get your hopes up by giving you too tight of s turn frame, but I'll for sure update at lease once more before thanksgiving. Again, thanks for all of the upper so far, y'all are the best!
~🖖