Part 1

Erin's POV

I looked both ways before turning into the busy street before me. The music is up and playing some happy, upbeat pop song. But happy and upbeat are the last things I'm feeling right now. I just found out that my husband, Jay Halstead is being deployed overseas for nine months. Nine months. How am I going to do this without him. He's not just my husband, he's my partner in Intelligence, he's my best friend. And now, he's leaving me. I know that he didn't have a choice, and that he has to go, but that doesn't make it hurt any less or any easier to let him.

Right now Jay and I are driving back to the district after raiding a warehouse. We got the guy, and after a stack of paper work a mile high the case will officially be closed. Jay's in the passenger seat, like usual. even after almost a year of marriage I still insist on driving, at least when we're at work. At home I tend to be a little more lenient. 

Jay looked over at me. I know he knows what I'm thinking about right now. He just has always known what's going on in my head with one look. I don't know how or why, he just always has.

"Stop," he said. I decided to play dumb.

"What?" I ask him, with what I hope is an innocent look on my face.

"I know what you're thinking about, and I don't wanna leave you any more than you don't want me to leave. But I don't have a choice. I've tried anything and everything to at least be able to serve within the states, but that is not an option for me. I'll be back in 9 months, and I'm coming home to see you every chance I get. I love you, Erin, and it's going to hurt like hell to be away from you for these 9 months. But after this, I'm done, and I'll never have to go anywhere again." Damn, how did he always know what I was thinking, it's kinda inconvenient for when I'm trying to have pity party or something.

I pull my scattered thoughts together enough to pull into an empty parking lot off to the right. Jay looks around, confused as to why we are here. I am too. I don't even know where the hell I'm going any more, because there has only been one blaring thought in my head since Jay got the letter last week, and it's, "JAY IS LEAVING TO GO FIGHT A WAR THAT HAS CAUSED THE DEATH OF THOUSANDS AND THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE I WILL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN." I know, I know, worst case scenario, but it's my biggest fear.

I look around and realize that we are still in a random, empty parking lot with happy pop music playing on the radio and Jay is looking at me with a quizzical expression on his face. I sigh and unbuckle my seat belt.

"Erin! Where are you going?" Jay calls after me. By now I've walked around the front of the car and have his door open. He gets out and looks at me. "Congratulations," I say. "It's your lucky day. You're driving, Halstead."

He looks at me for a minute, not believing a word I'm saying, then runs around the front of the car and gets in the drivers seat so fast I'm sure he thinks I'll change my mind any minute now. I get in the car and Jay leans over the counsel to drop a soft kiss on my lips. I lean back and smile, and then Jay drives us back to the district.

3 Days Later, at the Airport when Jay is Leaving

I walk into the airport with Jay. His arm is wrapped around my waist and mine is around his. Today is the day Jay has to leave, and it's just me and him. My husband already said his good byes to everyone else, even his brother, so it will be just us today. Jay's wearing the army cargo pants and shirt, along with the heavy beige boots and matching army cap that he has to wear, so it's obvious to everyone with eyes that Jay is army, and that he is on his way to fly out and serve our country. On the way in here several people stopped us to thank Jay for his service, and they just seem to keep coming. All I really want is for everyone to leave us alone so I can get my chance to say a goodbye to Jay. These next 9 months are going to be living hell for me. And now that we're here, in our last few minutes everyone keeps interrupting us.