Chapter Seven *Edited

Start from the beginning

“I quit that job before I met you. Didn’t want you jealous and all that.”

I sighed dramatically. “Well thank you for sparing me such a hardship.”

He chuckled as he started her up and began pulling away from the curb. I guess I wasn't going to be getting my flower today after all.

Eventually we settled into a comfortable silence and I let a mental sigh of relief out. At least I had the ability to turn his anger around. Being around that kind of energy was a major buzz kill on all cylinders. Besides, I didn’t do well with major emotions. Rage and depression were the most for me to handle. Being placidly numb was a nice calming place for me. Of course with Seth around I was going to rework this. He made me feel…everything. Misery, bliss, anger, and even dare I say, contentment. Fuck, it had only been two days of being with him and two days pining for him and here I was absorbed in his effect on me.

Someone needed to give me some Lithium or something because I was going off the deep end. I mean who does this?

Apparently you.

Again, with the snide voice in my head.

“You seem deep in thought.” Seth observed suddenly.

I made a non-committal grunt.

“Care to share?”

No.

“Sylvie.” Seth sighed. “You can share anything with me. I’m your mate.”

“You say that like it washes everything away.” I commented with a mumble.

Seth considered this for a second. “It kind of should.”

“Explain.”

“Being mates is being a full puzzle. Two pieces making a whole being, if you will. I can trust you completely and I hope you can trust me. Nothing is hidden from each other because there is nothing we would find unappealing. You understand?”

I frowned. “That is a lot to expect from me, Seth.”

Now it was his turn to counter with, “Explain.”

“Shit, Seth, I can’t even trust myself. How do you expect me to spill the beans on every thought that I have. Especially pertaining to you. I do have things I have to keep to myself. If I didn’t I would be…. well not me. I would just be…well I don’t know…but it’s just a weird concept. I didn’t grow up in this world.”

Seth was listening to me as I spoke. I noticed he was frowning in concentration when I finished. I relieved to see his posture was fairly relaxed. At least he wasn’t pissed or depressed about it. The thought made my gut tighten in discomfort. I didn’t like those emotions on him at all.

“I can understand that.”

“Your very understanding.”

“I have to be, Sylvie. I’m your mate. I care about you.”

Instead of that lifting my heart it almost filled me with dread. Did he really care about me? He did a lot of things that showed me that he could but it was an odd feeling. Being cared about on this level was not normal for me. I cared for Seth too but that was easier to adjust to. Caring for him was easy. Sweet, good-looking, and protective. All things I looked for in a male object of romantic affection.

“I care about you too.” I almost whispered after a minute.

I peeked through my lashes at Seth to see him grinning at me. Perfect straight teeth, a wee bit pointy that had been hidden behind his soft lips crept into my sight. I wanted to feel them bite my lip. Quickly I banished the thought slightly embarrassed. Soul mate or not I didn’t want to be wanton. Little tastes to satisfy the beast. His wolf and my slutty cannibal that yearned to bite his lip back.

I rested my head back against my seat. This was going to be a long day.