Chapter Thirteen

Zacznij od początku

He stood, his mind finally settling on a course of action. Moving towards her, he saw as her eyes snapped open at the sudden noise. She whimpered as her grabbed her by the arms, and when he pressed her against the wall she screamed, despite the gag in her mouth. If only she knew his mind.

The sun rose in the west in perfect time with the sinking of Jevar’s heart. Things were looking bleak, he knew, with five hours passed and not a single clue as to Ellie’s whereabouts. So much could have happened in that time, horrible sins could have been committed against his best friend. For all he truly knew, she could be lying facedown in some filthy alleyway, soaking in a pool of her own blood.

No, he thought, I cannot think that way. We will find her; we will save her. She is alive.

They must have talked with half the residents of the city, but to no avail. She’d been taken soon after midnight; many and more of the people had been in bed, resting for another hard day of work. Some had been awake, he knew, but they vehemently denied seeing anything strange occurring. They were nervous, and many had appeared guilty to him, though the Swordhand had assured him that it was just nerves at being interrogated.

“They must have left the city,” he muttered to himself, though Connad apparently heard. He confirmed the statement with a small nod.

“I’ve had the same thought myself, though I can’t say I’m glad of it,” he replied. “If they’ve left, there’s not much chance of finding her. And believe me, boy, I’m sorrier than anyone to say it.” He breathed heavily from running around the city all night, though Jevar thought he heard a sigh escaped the tall man’s lips.

Jevar shook his head in denial of this, of the thought that had been in his mind since they’d discovered her missing. “We must go out and look for her, then.”

“I’m going to send the others back home, Jevar,” Connad said, his voice sympathetic. “I want to find Elicia near as much as you do, but I’ve still got a city to run. If I’ve got everyone out searching, they’ll be too tired for their work. The city will suffer, and I cannot let that happen.”

“Then we’ll go find her ourselves!” Jevar shouted, unwilling to give up. “Surely they can miss you for a day or two while we search. I…” he began. “I do not know what I’d do without her.”

Connad hesitated briefly. “You love that girl, don’t you?” he asked, though he already knew the answer. Jevar nodded, his eyes filling with tears for the first time in what seemed so long. Not since he’d lost his adoptive parents had he grown so attached to anyone. “Then we will go.”

They left the city at a brisk jog, avoiding the early-rising members of their new society as they made their way to work. Arriving at the main gate to find the guard posted there dozing off, Connad grabbed the man by the helmet and shook him. Waking with a headache from the sudden noise, he took one look at their frighteningly angry leader and shouted for the gate to be open.

“I’m sorry, milord,” he offered feebly. “I’ve been out here since eight last night, and there wasn’t no one come to leave in that time.”

Connad bought none of it, obviously, spitting on the ground in frustration. “Where was your replacement? He should have taken over for you hours ago?”

The man shrugged. “I’ve been taking extra shifts, so I could get make some extra wages. I’m thinking of marrying my lady, see, and I need the extra money to pay for a wedding.”

“So you’ve been doing this more than once?” Connad asked, shocked. The man tried to protest, but the Swordhand cut him off before he could. “Return to the barracks and give your arms and armor to Sir Tyrtius. You are hereby relieved of your duties in the service of Learo’el. Go to your home, marry your lady, and hide your shame.”