Chapter Fifty-two

When I woke up, the sun was shining brightly through the window. I could hear birds singing and swords clashing in the courtyard from the knights practicing.

I slowly sat up, making sure I was covered with the sheet. I looked over at Arthur. He was splayed out on the bed next to me, the sheets covering anything below the waist. I blushed, remembering last night.

The sun shone on him, lighting up his hair to a golden sheen. I smiled down at him, sighing deeply. I was happy, if not a little sore.

I looked down at my scar, running my fingers over it lightly. Even though I had known he had seen it at the wedding, I had still been nervous last night. I had been afraid he wouldn't approve or something, but he hadn't cared at all.

I looked around the room, blushing when I saw what a mess we had made. Clothes were strewn everywhere, and the only thing on the bed aside from us, was the sheet.

I blushed bright red, but I couldn't help the smile that grew on my face slightly.

Arthur rolled over onto his side, facing me. I smiled, looking down at him. He was so handsome, and I was amazed at the fact that he was my husband.

I fell backwards with a happy sigh, falling into the fluffy mattress. Nothing could have brought me down from my high just then.

A knock sounded on the door, and it started opening without waiting for an answer. Merlin walked in backwards, keeping the door open while his hands were full with a tray.

I sat up, keeping the sheet around my chest. I started blushing, knowing how the next few minutes would play out. I wanted to avoid it, but I knew there was no situation where I would be able to.

Merlin whirled around, opening his mouth to greet Arthur, and our eyes connected. He took in my state of dress and immediately became flustered, the tray dropping from his hands.

The clatter woke Arthur up with a jolt. He was bleary-eyed and seemed still half asleep, but he took in the situation quickly. He rolled over me and stood up, blocking Merlin's view of me. The sheet was barely covering himself, but he didn't seem to mind.

"Merlin!" Arthur snapped, his voice booming.

Merlin started stuttering, completely flustered. He started scrambling around on the floor, picking up the tray he brought.

"What? Did you just forget my marriage?!" Arthur berated.

"Arthur." I said, a warning tone in my voice. Just because he was King doesn't mean he can treat people with rudeness.

Arthur sighed and didn't say a thing. Merlin picked up the tray and raced out the door, slamming it shut behind himself. Arthur didn't move, keeping his back to me. I could tell he was a little upset that Merlin had caught us in such a compromising moment, but he didn't want to show me that.

I moved to kneel on the bed, wrapping my arms slowly around Arthur's waist and pressing myself against his back. I kissed the back of his shoulder, causing him to groan low in the back of his throat.

"We really should get up." He said, his voice hoarse.

"I've gotten up before the sun for almost my whole life." I whispered against his skin, "Let me indulge myself this one time."

Arthur turned in my arms, pulling my body close to his. I gasped at the sudden movement as he looked down at me with a smirk.

"As you wish." He finally replied, leaning down to kiss my jaw.

I smiled, pulling him towards me until we fell back into the bed.

*****

I speared the sausage with my fork, smiling up at Merlin as he poured me some more water. He still had a furious blush on his face, and he avoided making eye contact with me.

I snorted, laughing slightly.

"Don't patronize him, Dawn." Arthur scolded, but he couldn't keep the smile off his face. He tried to hide it with his goblet.

Merlin shot us both a glare, but refused to say anything. I burst out laughing, causing Arthur took look over at me with an amused expression.

Merlin rolled his eyes and moved off to the side, leaving Arthur and I at the table alone.

"Your coronation is tomorrow." Arthur said, "How are you feeling?"

"Sick to my stomach!" I replied, truthfully, with fake cheerfulness in my voice.

He sighed, giving me a pitying look. I shrugged, eating another piece of sausage.

"What do you want me to say?" I asked, "I am a servent! I don't know how to run Camelot."

"No one knows how to lead Camelot." Arthur laughed, "I wasn't prepared for this role as King, and I've been trained for it since I was little!"

"It's your destiny." I argued, scoffing, "You were born to be Camelot's King."

"You're my destiny, Dawn." He told me.

I looked up to meet his gaze, my expression softening. His face told me her was sincere. I leaned across the table to give him a quick kiss.

"How about you take the day off and relax?" He suggested when I settled back down, "I will take care of all the preparations for tomorrow."

"I shouldn't do that! I'm going to be Queen tomorrow." I protested, "I need to be stepping up and taking on more duties."

"You've done enough for now." He told me, reassuringly, "You're not Queen yet. Think of it as your last chance for freedom."

I rolled my eyes and giggled, but didn't protest. I stood up and moved behind the divider to change into a day dress. Arthur had offered to get a servent for me, but I immediately protested. It would feel wrong having someone else do what I can do myself.

"Are you sure?" I asked again, coming back out from behind the divider.

"I'm positive." He said, standing up to wrap his arms around my waist, "Go have some fun."

"You're going to regret telling her that." Merlin announced, speaking up for the first time this morning.

"Hush, Merlin." Arthur scolded, raising an eyebrow.

I pulled away, a coy look on my face.

"Why should he?" I asked, winking, "He's right."

And with one last kiss, I was out the door.