Chapter 1: The Invitation

Monicka

The April salt air breeze just started to tickle my senses as I stood in my balcony staring out at the vast ocean as its waves crashed the shore creating a rhythm that soothes my ears.

The moment of tranquility I have been waiting for in the midst of chaos that was happening in my life lately. I am pushed back in to reality from being lost in my deep sea of thoughts when my phone buzzed an email notification to which the heading title reads.

"Unveiling the Sublime: The Artistic Expression of the Heart." A surge of mixed excitement and frustration coursed through my veins.

I carefully read the email not missing an information.

Dear Ms Atkins,

We are excited to invite you to the grand unveiling of our upcoming exhibition, "Unveiling the Sublime: The Artistic Expression of the Heart," at Evocative Oasis Gallery

Join us on May 13, 2014 at 7 pm at 1924 Rose Street,Rosenbaum City,Philippines for an evening filled with awe-inspiring art and stimulating conversations. This exhibition showcases a collection of artworks that capture the diverse range of emotions and the profound impact art can have on our hearts and minds.

We would be honored to have you as our guest. Feel free to bring along any friends or family members who share your love for art.

We look forward to sharing this unforgettable experience with you.

Warm regards,

Millard Foster
Evocative Oasis Gallery
evocativeoasisgallery@yahoo.com

Since I have discovered my passion, I have yearned to showcase my artworks in a gallery but due to the demanding demands of my job at Quantum Stellar Engineering and the monotony of meetings, deadlines and paper works my passion in arts was pushed aside.

As I opened the email, words on the screen seemed to dance before my eyes. The invitation is an unexpected lifeline. It offered me to break free through the confines of my daily routine.The thought of showcasing my beloved works of art to a wider audience ignited a fire in me. It is an opportunity to express myself and offer viewers an intimate glimpse into my emotional world.

However, despite all the excitement I had, the fear of rejection overshadowed my new found hope. Yet, in the midst of the self-doubt, there was one constant source of encouragement - Kylee, a close family friend, an almost sibling and an accomplished artist herself. She always believed in my talent and had played a pivotal role in nurturing my love for art. As fate would have it, her exhibit was the one I got an invite to. This felt like a sign that we should reaffirm our bond.

Lucien

The April salt air breeze brushed through my skin as I went down the taxi I rode. As I have always observed, the bustle of the city's folk is always a good sight to see.

As I made my way inside my place of work, familiar tones of ringing phones,hurried footsteps and constant hum of conversation greeted me.
People line into get paper works they need. Clerks from each cubicle apart from mine constantly call their clients who were in line.

My desk where I usually sit is tucked away in the corner. It is the only sanctuary I have amidst the chaos happening outside. I meticulously sift through stacks of documents and reviewing permits ensuring everything is carefully looked into before it goes to every department.

---

It is a Thursday afternoon, everyone awaits for the last tick of the clock to signal that everybody is again free from this monotonous 9 to 5 job.

As the minutes tick away I choose to focus on my work still thinking if I am going to do overtime for the next few weeks.

"If I won't take it, then these paper works will pile on me. If I take it, then they won't pile on me." I told myself to try to weigh on things.

Losing the thought to track time, I realize that it is just myself and another co-worker,Johnny left in the building. We have been talking for a while now and we have clicked many things, especially our fondness of art.

"Hey Lucien, I got an invitation to an upcoming exhibit and since you mentioned that you like appreciating art. I want to give you this." he said as he handed me a "plus one" invitation from an art gallery.

Taken aback by this gesture, I took the ticket and thanked him and clarified to him that I'll be taking it but I'd be thinking it over. He agreed, gave me a smile then walked away.