Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

    I put some thought to it. Little sister? History...? Then it clicked. Liam. Liam White. Liam James White. Someone out there is either impersonating him...or it is him. "Who is who?" Cole jumped in. I didn't realize I was thinking aloud. "Oh..um, nobody. Forget it. Let's get our tickets, it's time to go to the airport. And on the way there, we need to think of an excuse in to why you have to come along." He nodded, and said he'd wait while I got my ticket from my room. Oh Ariana, what the hell is going on? 

?? P.O.V.

   This is probably the 10th time I called. The phone was ringing, and ringing, and ringing. Still no answer. Cole, that bastard. He probably knows that I've probably found out by now. I threw my phone on the bed, and slammed my fists on the wall. My bud walked in and put his hands on my shoulder, "It'll be okay. What are the chances of her knocking into you?" I looked at him, "Too fucking many." He sat me down, "Calm down. Even if she does, isn't this what you've been wanting your whole life?" I put my head down, "Yeah but...if we do, how will I explain why I ever left? Even if I end up explaining to her, I don't know how she'll react. If I didn't lose contact with her before, I will now."

    He patted my shoulder, as I caught a glimpse of his blonde hair, "Everything will fall into place correctly. Don't worry, mate." Not worrying wasn't as easy as you thought. Reminds me, I had to drop by the hospital and make a little 'donation'. 

Back to Ariana's P.O.V.

      I dropped off my belongings into my hotel room for the trip. I don't think you would believe me, but this hotel is right next to the apartment complex of where the 1D boys live. I chose this hotel carefully. I just needed to have a talk with that Liam guy about how I feel so attracted to him.. I walked out of the building and attempted to hail a cab. I failed. Someone found me in desperate need of help, so they caught the cab for me. I thanked the kind lady, and got in. "Hi, um. Would you happen to know where Queen Mary's Hospital might be?" The driver answered, "Oh yeah. It's right around the corner, madam." I nodded, "Oh cool, thanks. I'd just like to go there, please." He said, "On our way then, Miss." I smiled, or at least tried to. I wasn't really in the best mood in a foreign town. And it's a good thing I already exchanged out my currency. Otherwise I would be in trouble. 

                                                                      ~~~~~~~~

    I couldn't believe this was happening. I was going to see my mom the first time in weeks. I wasn't sure I was ready... When I got in front of Room 22H, I paused. I somehow froze in place. I didn't think I could face her. Eventually, after a good 2 minutes, I took in a deep breath and walked inside. I looked at the fragile woman lying on top of the bed. Her wet blonde hair full of sweat in her face. She looked like she was carrying all the pain in the world inside of her, and it was threatening to burst out. I placed the palm of my hand to my mouth and ran by her side, "M-mom. It's me, Ari. I'm finally here. I'm so sorry I took so long." I started sobbing. She slowly opened her eyes, "Is it really?" She said in barely a whisper. I put my hand in my mom's and embraced it, "Yes, it is. You'll be fine. Everything will return to the way it was, I promise."

     Her gentle smile revealed itself, and her blue eyes pierced into my eyes, "It can never return to the way it was, but maybe there will be a sense of normal in it, huh?" She said in between breaths. I smiled, "Of course." I kissed the back of Mom's hand, and shut my eyes. I felt all the problems in the world melt away for a little bit. Moms just had that kind of a power over you, you know? I was forced to break away from that reality, though, by a person at the door. All I saw was a tall guy in a scarf that was covering his mouth and nose, a beanie covering his hair, and sunglasses. Not shady at all. I stood up, "Who are you?" He dropped the tray he was holding to the ground.

     All the soup and tea fell to the floor with a crash. I backed up, "What is WRONG with you?! Who are you? Nurse! NURSE!!" I continued yelling until I felt the soft hands of the aging woman interlock with mine. She tightened the grip. Mom would always do that when she wanted to convince me things were alright. I turned to her, "Do you know him?" She nodded, "He's just a helper. He volunteers for people at the hospital, and took care of me all those days you weren't here. His name is Luke." I sort of squinted at him, "Well why is he dressed like that?" She replied, "He likes to remain anonymous, the sweet boy." And no one finds this peculiar because...? I guess I had a right to be grateful to him for what he's done. I took my seat back next to the bed. And looked at him, "Do you talk?" He nodded. He looked so shocked when he first saw me. I wonder what startled him so much.

     "Well um, can you go fetch something to clean up this mess? I'll bring replacements." He nodded again and walked out of the room. "I'll be back with more soup and tea." I assured her. I walked out the door. 

                                                                         ~~~~~~~~

    Ten minutes later I carefully lead my way back to my mom's room. I was just about to open the door when I saw Luke -or whatever- on his knees next to the perfectly mopped and cleaned up mess. He seemed to be having a conversation with my mom. I put the tray slowly down on the table sitting outside the room, and listened. I think Luke was crying, "I think it's time for me to go." Mom held his hand, "No, sweetie. I know you said you would leave the day Ariana gets here, but- don't do this to me..." He responded, "I don't think I can tell her what really happened. It's just not a possibility right now." Mom let a tear drop escape her right eye, "You were always my son, you know that, L-" My mom had already spotted me at the door.        

      That cued Luke to look outside the door as well. I walked inside, "What's going on? What haven't you guys told me yet?" Luke immediately got up and rushed out the door past me. I grabbed his sleeve, which caused him to turn around. In the process of turning around, his scarf fell off. Before I could recognize him, he released from my grip, and quickly turned away and started running down the halls. I ran after him- I had to put an end to the secrets. While he ran down the stairs, I kept yelling after him to stop. He paid no heed to me or my pleads. I chased him into the parking lot in the cool air.

   I finally got him to come to an end point. I caught up and was now standing right behind him, as he towered over me. I turned him around. Everything seemed to have occurred in slow motion while it revealed to me who this 'Luke' really was. I gasped when I saw who this guy really was. "L-Liam Payne?" He took his sunglasses off. His guilty warm brown eyes looked at me. We stood there without saying anything. That was probably a true breaking point in my life and I had no idea what to do. "This can't be a c-coincidence." He looked down to the ground and slowly replied, "It isn't."