Allison Speaks

'Love everything about the world'

'Speak only in a different language when with friends'

'Sing softly of your travels to the birds'

"The 'bastard,' so to speak," Allison said, her eyes on the road ahead. "That was my girl... friend..." she paused worried of my reaction.

"Oh!" I said. "You're... I got it." I said smiling.

"Yup-p." she said before continuing. "She wasn't being careful and got uh... infected." she said, her eyes now on the ground, sorrow in deep in them.

"I was with her the whole time she was changing." she said dropping her head. "I did everything that I could." she said searching for meaning.

"Hey." I said softly. "You tried." I said. "You cared." I paused. "You loved her and that's all that matters." I said rubbing her back.

"You mean it?" she asked hopeful. I nodded.

I lifted my head to the sky, showing the fast setting sun.

"Shoot!" I said, happy with myself for not cursing.

"What?!" Allison asked worried.

"Run..." I said.

"What?" she asked confused.

"RUN!" I said grabbing her arm. We ran and ran and ran.

"I--" pause. "can't--" pause. "go--" pause. "any--" pause "further--" Allison sputtered. I obeyed her and slowed to a fast walk.

"You aren't going to leave me?" she asked in between breaths. I shook my head and grabbed her hand. She looked down and smiled.

We were both happy and making good progress, for it being close to dark. I kicked a few pebbles before looking up and gasping.

"Oh, my God!" Allison and I said in unison.

We weren't ready for what was in front of us.