Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"What's the master plan, Ingred?" he asked as he unhooked his sword belt, "You say you know how you might get his information, but refuse to tell me how..."

"The best plans are kept plans," she said simply, "All you need to know is that you should trust me." In this, at least.

"Very well," Zayn said, and then mumbled under his breath, "Make me proud, I guess."

----

When the General was finally asleep, Iris quietly snuck out of her bed and toward the bathroom. Her heart, that had been pounding rampantly since she bought the disguise, beat even louder now. In fact, it thumped so noisily, she swore it would wake Zayn. Kayde, upon seeing her stand, got up as well. With a nod in his direction, she closed the restroom door and grabbed her bag from behind the counter.

Iris wasn't sure what felt stranger, taking off her armor or putting on a dress. Gods, it had been so very long since she'd worn one. After zipping the back of it, she turned to the mirror and inhaled. She looked very feminine, despite the shoulder-length hair, and that alone had her reeling in shock. In the armor, it was hard to see the slenderness of her arms and the gentle curve of her hips, but now... it was all too prominent. This frightened Iris.

Even so, she knew it had to be done. With a sigh, she began pulling up her black tresses up into an elegant twist. Needless to say, she became frustrated almost immediately after beginning. The last time she'd done this, she was more practiced at it. She'd had way more hair to work with too. Even so, she was able to manage it... well, after three tries. She began to wonder if she was good at being a man because she had actually forgotten how to be a girl. It wouldn't surprise her.

Next, she powdered her face and brushed a bit of kohl around her eyes. She chuckled as she did this, noting that this was a different kind of war paint. Though, the slight mirth disappeared when she shaded her lips in liquid red.

Gods, this is bloody uncomfortable, she thought to herself, not enjoying the viscosity of the lip-paint.

Before she left the bathroom, she tied a dagger to her left calf. Not because she thought she would be bothered, after all, Kayde would be there with her; but because she felt so vulnerable. Fragile. It was not a feeling she enjoyed. Iris noticed that the weapon did some to counter that after she secured it... but not enough.

Either way, with one last deep breath, she stepped out.

Kayde was standing there, waiting on her. The moment he fixated on her, the corner of his mouth rose. Iris narrowed her eyes and began walking quietly towards the door, doing her best not to awaken the general. Her heart thrummed against her sternum with each step that she took, threatening to saw its way out of her ribcage.

Thankfully, the door didn't creak.

Neither of them spoke until the motel was no longer in sight.

"For a soldier," Kayde voiced as they made their way to the jail, "You can turn yourself into a rather lovely girl."

"I'm sure with a couple of oranges, and the amount of rouge I'm wearing..." she said satirically, "You could turn yourself into a rather pretty girl too. Still not too late to put you in a skirt too."

Hearing her still-scratchy voice, Kayde began rummaging in his pack. After a moment, he pulled out a little leaf.

"What is that?" she asked.