Getting ready

Esme
I watch as his eyes roam my body, much like Carlisle's did this morning. Only, when Carlisle did it, I felt giddy, not uncomfortable and scared.
"What can I do for you, Mr. Evenson?" I ask politely, wishing Edward would be here with me. As if he could read my thoughts, Edward appeared at my side, one of his hands on my back comfortingly.
"I would like to ask you on a date. We went to school together before you were homeschooled. I always had the biggest crush on you and I would really enjoy taking you out." he says politely.
I smile at the thought of going on a date. I've never been on a date before. No one has ever asked me out. But what about Carlisle. I mean I known that I have a crush on him but does he even see me as anything more than a patient? Does he even notice me? I mean I feel like if I turned down Charles, I would be waiting for something that is never going to happen.
"I...I would love to." I tell him. He smiles widely in surprise.
"You would?" he asks.
"Yes."
"Wow. Alright! Uh, when?" he asks.
"Tonight?" I ask.
"Yes. Alright. I will pick you up at eight." he says. I nod and wave shyly.
"Alright. Goodbye." I say.
"Goodbye."
I shut the door and turn around smiling.
"Oh come on. That guy?" Edward asks.
"Yes. What's wrong with him?" I ask.
"Nothing. Except that you can do better." he says, following me upstairs.
"Oh, right. Because a girl with the face of a monster is so high in demand these days." I say sarcastically.
"Stop making yourself out to be less than what you are." Edward says sharply. I turn and look at him with surprise.
"You are wonderful. I see that, Charles can see that, and believe it or not, Carlisle can sure as hell see that. So stop feeling sorry for yourself and embrace your flaws. You will be more pleased with yourself if you do." he says.
I nod, not knowing what else to say.
"So yes, you can do better than Charles. Something about him seems...off." Edward says, walking up the stairs again.
"Well I think he is just fine."
"Well he's no Carlisle now is he?" he asks, walking into his bedroom and closing the door. I stand in the hall, staring at his door with surprise. Was it really that obvious that I have a crush on him?
Sighing, I walk into my room and go to the closet and open it. Empty. Oh right. I don't have my clothes.
"Edward?" I call out. He appears at my doorway the moment his name leaves my lips. I look at him with surprise.
"What can I do for you?" he asks, ignoring my surprised expression.
"Uh..I...I don't have any clothes. Would you mind taking me to my house or pointing me in the general direction so that I may go and get some clothes?" I ask. He smirks and grabs my hand.
"I will take you. Wouldn't want you walking by yourself when you're wearing nothing but Carlisle's shirt." he says. We walk outside and down the street. The sun is covered by clouds that are looming over us. Though this is nothing new. Ashland has always been a cloudy place. It is very rare that we ever see the sun.
A few miles later, my house finally comes into view.
I open the front door and we step into the small house. I lead Edward into my bedroom and grab a suitcase from under my bed. I begin to take my clothes from my closet and set them into the suitcase. I grab pajamas, day clothes, date clothes, and the necessities such as bras and underwear.
I glance at Edward and make sure he is not looking before quickly sliding a pair of underwear up my legs and onto my body. I finish stuffing the bag with shoes and close the suit case, zipping it up.
"I've got it." Edward says, lifting the bag with ease.
"Anything else you would like to grab?" he asks. I look around the small room, trying to find something I might need. I quickly walk to my jewelry box and retrieve the necklace that my mother wore when she was alive. It was the only thing that survived the fire.
"Alright. I'm ready now." I tell him. We walk out of the small home and back down the street toward their house.
"It's your house too now, you know." Edward says. I jump. Did I say that out loud?
"It is?" I ask. He nods. I smile. Does this mean I have a family? Don't be silly. They are their own family. I'm just the guest.
"You are very much a part of our family if you would like to be Esme." Edward says. I stop walking and stare at him.
"I didn't say that out loud." I say accusingly.
"No. I suppose you didn't." he says.
"So how did you..." Can he read my mind?
"Yes, I can." he says.
This has to be a lie. There's no such thing. It's impossible.
"It isn't impossible." he says.
Has he been able to read my mind the entire time? Everything? Even the things about Carlisle?
"Yes. Even those things." he says chuckling. I gasp and blush with embarrassment. I quickly walk around him, toward the house.
"Nothing to be embarrassed about, Esme." Edward says.
"How can you read minds?" I ask.
"Now that, I cannot answer. I've already revealed too much." he says.
"Does Carlisle have powers too?" I ask.
"He might. I think he does. Usually, the strongest quality we had in our human life transfers and that is our power. I believe that Carlisle's power is his compassion."
"Human life?" I ask.
"Nothing more Esme. My lips are sealed."
We walk back to the house in silence. I quickly run upstairs and open my suitcase, searching for something to wear. I pull out my favorite navy blue summer dress. It flows out around the waist and ends just below the knees. It's a bit short but I hear that's going in style.
I take a quick shower and blow dry my hair, letting in lay on my shoulders in its natural wave. I throw the dress on over my head and slide some yellow sandals onto my feet. I stare at my reflection in the mirror and for the first time since the fire, I actually feel beautiful.