Chapter Three: The Letter

“Amara, wake up.” The soft whisper of my mother made me open my eyes, her eyes were bloodshot and she was wearing black, I could see the grief in her face even with the poor light that was in my room, I wanted to hold her tight and tell her things that would make her feel better. But just like yesterday I felt helpless and useless so I just sat down on my bed and looked at her “Hey mom, what happened?”

She gave me a red little bag that looked like it was made of velvet “This is what your grandmother left you in her will.” She said and then took out a folded paper from her bag “She also left you a letter; I haven’t read in case you didn’t want me to.”

I was so surprised it took me some seconds until I took the things. My grandmother left me something! I wasn’t expecting that, not at all. I kept looking at the little bag and the folded letter until my mom opened the door to leave my room, a lot of grief in her face.

“Mom?” I said before she left.

“Yes honey?” she asked standing by the door, I wanted to run at her and make her feel like everything was going to be okay. But because I love her so much I know how she must be feeling, she just lost her mom and I know that if she died I would be just like her or worst. I tried to come with some encouraging speech or something that’ll make her smile, but again words failed me and I just managed to say “It’s going to be okay.”

She just gave me a sad smile and left, I just wanted to cry. It’s going to be okay… What the hell was that? It is not going to be okay because my grandmother is never coming back, she will never see her mother again. I shouldn’t have said something.

I was so frustrated I almost forgot about the little bag and the letter, I decided to open the bag first. Inside it something was shining a little bit, I took it out and held it in my hand; it was a simple silver necklace with a cute magic lamp charm. It was a pretty simple necklace but I felt very touched by it.

I left it in my jewelry box and the decided to read the letter; it wasn’t a long one just a little paragraph but what it said left me with a lot of questions.

Dear Amara

I don’t know how to explain this, but I sure can tell you that I hope you enjoy the three little chances I just gave you, I also know that you will use them right and won’t make selfish decisions because if there is someone with big dreams and a big heart then that someone is you.

With love, your grandmother Charlotte.

PS: Don’t blame him, it wasn’t his fault.

It wasn't his fault?

What was she talking about?

What three chances?