Chapter 6: Unexpected Visitors

They didn´t need to wait long. A group of fifteen heavily armed men arrived at the tree-lined circle. They were dressed in some type of uniform, and had the stern look of soldiers on a mission. They had enough time to get ready though. While the bard sat comfortably in front of the fire, Mika was up a tree with his bow and poisoned arrows. Elearah was nowhere to be seen, probably in the river. The young man frowned, worried. The water was icy cold.

“What can I do for you, gentlemen?” The magus looked at the leader with frank eyes, but without getting up.

The man dismounted and came closer. Glancing around him, he took a scroll from his coat with two fingers and gave it to Balian.

The bard broke the seal, unrolled the thick hemp paper and read it. He took his time to address the situation and think. Finally, he lifted his eyes.

“So, you are here to escort us.”

“Yes, my lord.” The man bowed shortly.

“Mika, come down please,” Balian rolled up the scroll and gently set it aside. The young man descended from his tree, but he didn´t put away his bow. He ogled the soldiers and they stared back, hands on the grip of their jian swords. The bard looked at the heavens, closed his eyes and lifted the side of his mouth in a tired smile.

“We are making soaps. We will have to wait until it´s time to unmold them,” he informed them.

“How long will it take?” the leader asked, troubled.

“It will be ready tomorrow at noon,” the magus answered.

He nodded curtly to Mika, and the young man left his bow aside. The bard looked at the rest of the group, and his smile stretched, reaching his eyes.

“Gentlemen, please come to the fire and eat some stew. We have a long wait ahead.” The man in charge nodded one time, and the soldiers dismounted.

They sat and ate in front of the fire. Mika learnt they were the personal guard of Duke Ming-Zhi, lord of Bian-Jing. The man who addressed Balian was Zhong-Shi, captain of the guard. The Duke wanted a word with the bard while they were on his lands. Of course, refusing the invitation was not an option.

“May I ask where Lady Elearah is, my lord?” the captain asked a few minutes later.

“You may, and I may choose not to respond.” The bard answered smiling mischievously. He was evidently having a good time.

Mika was worried about Elie. He felt anxiety coming from her, but he couldn´t figure out how. He just knew something worried her greatly. It was not a dangerous situation, just painfully uncomfortable.

He stood up and two of the soldiers followed.

“Going anywhere?” the captain asked.

“Yes, to hunt something for tomorrow. You are eating all our stew,” he answered with a somber face. He didn´t like the situation one bit. He turned to Balian, “If you agree, my lord.”

“Highly appreciated. A couple of rabbits or birds will make a fine meal. Just don´t take unnecessary risks,” Balian answered. “You two,” the bard pointed at the two standing soldiers, “ We don´t need you making noises and getting into trouble. If you feel like walking, go over there and bring me some more dry logs to make a bigger fire.” The soldiers looked at their captain, and, after a silent agreement, they followed the bard´s orders.

“Understood,” Mika nodded. He went to their small ger to collect what he needed for the trip. When passing by Elearah´s bag, a crystalline voice spoke in his head: “We are at the river and have lost our clothes, please bring us that bag to the right of your foot.”

“Elearah?” he murmured startled.

“No, it is Pearl. No time to explain, just bring it. Please?” A wave of emotional pain and embarrassment hit him hard.

“Aye, coming,” he mumbled. “Now this is new…” His frown faded into a smile as another thought followed right after that one, “no clothes, mmm.”

“I heard that!” Pearl snapped making him jolt.

Afraid of his own thoughts, he picked up the bag and his hunting gear, and walked toward the river. The captain was looking at him intently.

When he arrived down at the river, he didn´t see any trace of Elearah or Pearl –whoever Pearl was.

“Leave the clothes on top of the rock in front of you, turn around, walk toward the tree, and stay there facing it. And don´t peek!” The unfamiliar voice filled his head again.

“Yes, ma´am…” he answered, feeling something between annoyance and amusement.

He walked toward the tree, folded his arms, and carefully studied a line of ants. They were coming down the trunk diligently, carrying leaves three times their size. Only then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a shadow. They were not alone.

“Elie, water!” he yelled. His hand was already throwing a dagger, aimed at the neck of the assassin. He turned around to face the others and saw her sliding back into the water—a breathtaking creature with Elearah´s face.

There was not much time to spend pondering what he saw. Right now, he was about to die, and there was nothing he could do about it.