Chapter 2: Soft Spots And Kumis

Mika climbed onto the kang and sat down, stretching his legs under the low table, his back resting on a wood panel. He could feel the heat coming from below, warming up his bones. It was such a blessing. He breathed deeply, sweet and spicy aromas reached his nostrils. Stew and soup to heat up the body and the soul. The light was bright, but not too bright, the tables were sturdy, the floor was clean.

Glancing around, he spotted the bard talking to the owner of the inn, who was nodding and smiling. It never ceased to amaze him how easily the old man dealt with all kinds of people. He was a wise soul in a much wrinkled package, people were naturally drawn to him.

His mind wandered and, as so often happened, settled on Elearah and the first time they met.

**********************

Mika had waited on the docks for three days and three nights before the boat arrived at Nang City in the South of Huo.  The bard descended first and the young man just knew they were the ones. Balian spotted him too. Their eyes met and, after a short nod, Mika moved the small cart forward. Three other horses followed.

Just then, she came into full view. He stared at her, mesmerized, taking in every detail. She had her honey-brown hair braided tightly with one loose lock. She looked at him, and his heart raced. Her eyes were shaped like almonds with a slight upturn at the outer corners. She said something and his eyes went to her mouth. It was small with soft, kissable lips.

Right then, she suffered the first attack he witnessed. From the corner of his eye, he saw movement and felt the hair on the back of his neck raise up. An old woman in ragged clothes approached from Elearah´s right side, seemingly talking to birds and minding her own business. His eyes darted in the opposite direction. Guarded by the shadows, a man armed with a bow and arrow was waiting for a clear shot.

Mika didn´t waste time. He charged ahead with the cart and jumped on Elearah. He knocked her flat to the ground, protecting her with his own body. She smelled like jasmine, and, in spite of the situation, he had to fight the urge to kiss her.

Suddenly, a thunderstorm gathered out of nowhere. Fat drops fell, wind howled, thunder roared. It almost felt as if the King of the South Sea was throwing a tantrum. Balian yelled something and the storm stopped as abruptly as it had started… in a blink there was again a soft breeze, clear skies and a bright sun warming them. The man with the bow was nowhere to be found.

Right there, Mika understood why Lady Nyah had chosen him for this assignment. These were definitely not ordinary people, and they needed more than a guide to cross Huo, they needed a fully trained bodyguard.

*********************  

Mika had a soft spot for Elie that he refused to name. There was one thing he was sure about: he would give his life to keep her safe. He grimaced as he thought about the other attacks they had suffered along the trip. Why were so many people trying to kill her? Why would anyone want to kill such a beautiful girl?

The last lights of the day were dying out, and he saw through the opaque window the shady contour of the obelisk against the sky. Chills crawled up his spine. The fear he was keeping at bay gained strength, fear for Elearah, for her safety. Why did she insist on being alone? Why did the bard oblige? They were there to watch over her. Yet, Balian was ready to get drunk, and she was alone having a bath. The thought stirred other feelings in him, and he firmly pushed them away.

When the bard joined him, he asked, frustrated, “How can we protect Elie from here?”

Balian gave him a half smile. “Don´t worry about her, she has inner protection. And believe me, if she is ever in any danger, we will know with enough time to act.” The bard patted Mika´s arm and looked deep into his eyes. “Drink, relax, enjoy. Life is too short to worry about what lurks in the shadows. We will deal with it when it dares to come out.”

Mika stared at the bard with contempt and only received an amused smile in reply. The young man took a deep breath and decided to get drunk for the first time on the trip. The stress was wearing him out, and he was the only one who seemed to be worried. Unfortunately, they only had kumis. The beverage—made out of mare´s milk—was not strong enough to knock him down, but it would help him relax.

Balian took a little pouch from one of his many pockets and poured a pinch of powder in his drink. He did the same with absolutely anything that went into their mouths. It was a weird ritual, but it had saved his life at least one time that he knew of, and maybe more.

He drank the kumis with small sips. It was an acquired taste he never developed. It started out mildly sour in the middle of the tongue but left a tang of blue cheese on the back. He found the aftertaste slightly disturbing.

The bard walked to the center of the room, cleared his throat and started his show. Today he was going to tell the tale of The Lucky Girl and the Golden Forest of Erijam. The old man moved his arms, spun around, used different inflections. His voice was hypnotic, and he had a particular way of addressing the audience that made people feel he was reciting just for each one of them. A lonely erhu decided to join him. The bard adjusted the cadence of his words to the rhythm of the music, enhancing the emotion of the tale. The audience was mesmerized.

Mika finished his first cup and watched the play. In the time they had shared the road, he had never seen Balian repeat one story. The bard was anything but ordinary.