Chapter 15: Talk to Me

It's been a few grueling weeks after the Infected had been properly fed; but they were still growing, and evolving. Little progress has been made to figure out what the gas was doing, a lot of the chemicals have been diagnosed already; but there were just one or two factors that made no sense, and ruined any further progress on figuring out what was going on. To say Tony and the other scientists were frustrated was a serious understatement.

A lack in much needed information was affecting everyone. The Avengers, who (besides Sam and Tony) didn't have a clue what to make of all the science-y stuff involved, have no way of helping. The remaining teen heroes were getting more and more restless with each passing day; Cho now spent the most of his days in the dorms trying to find his own advancements in the gas since he wasn't allowed in the labs while the 'adults were working', while the other maintained a heavy schedule for keeping up status on the monitors. Even Nick Fury was stressed, and when Nick Fury wasn't happy, no one was happy.

All while, the Infected had increasingly grown. Squirrel Girl had gotten bigger; though she remained hunched like a squirrel most of the time. Her tail was big, and bushier, claws had grown longer on his hands and feet, and two sharp, and scary looking teeth hung from her jaw. A hazel nut blanket had smoothly been grown across her skin, which she managed to keep really clean. Her eyes had also changed, they were still a deep brown, but looked wider, with the pupils bigger. She was always moving, and acting super hyper, spending most of her time scurrying around for a place she can store away the nuts she collects from the food-submarine.

Zabu's frame had gotten bigger and broader; his fur was sleek but bristly. His two fangs hung threateningly, and his ears had pointed to tips. Zabu liked to spend most of his time taking cat-naps, stalking the other members of his 'pack', or playing a friendly game of tackle with Tiger. Those two had grown a special friendship between each other, probable because both were part of the feline family and agreed on relatively everything.

Speaking of which, Tiger physique had also gotten bigger. White and black fur glistened over her skin, and muscles would ripple across it like a wave as she played and fought with Zabu, and sometimes Spider, she always remained on all-fours. Tiger made it a goal to keep herself groomed, and cleaned at all times, though she was prepared to take down anyone who dared challenge her authority. She, somehow, had become Spider's right-hand man/women/comrade. She was usually by his side, tail flicking in amusement whenever Spider got frustrated at another member of his pack, and would eventually go and help him out after she spent a good-deal of time making fun of him. At other times she got irritated quickly when someone bothered her, or she thought they were being too foolish, and would snap at them to stop, they listened....sometimes.

Rhino was the biggest of them all, now so big that soon his sharpened horn would scrape the ceiling above him. His thick, tough grey hide looked impenetrable, and he kept his horn sharp by digging into any hard surface he could fine (which would be a problem if he started using the outer-interior walls as his sharpening post). Rhino had eventually came to be Spider's personal body guard, maybe it was because he saw that Spider meant business and didn't want to upset him, or because he grew to like his weird, protective personality. Either way, he too was usually by Spider's side, and whenever another pack member acted too aggressive or rude to Spider, Rhino was there to grunt a warning at them while tilting his horn menacingly in his/her direction. Spider didn't have too many behavioral problems thanks to him.

Triton was probable the one looking worse out of all of them. He was tall, with thin vein-webbed fins, and webbed hands and feet. Thin, sharp spines lined up along his spine, and his fish scales were a glistening green/blue color. Though since Triton was mostly associated with water, if he didn't have enough liquid to sustain himself, his skin would start to grey, crack, and peel. It looked painful, and left Triton whimpering and whining in misery. But the problem was soon fixed once Triton found the shower rooms, now he spent most of his days soaking in the showers and drinking any water he could get his webbed finger on.