Chapter One

"EMMETT—EMMETT, WAIT!"

The black-haired earl stopped mid-stride to turn to face his twin, his lips turning upwards into a gentle curve of a smile. The corners of his eyes crinkled lovingly as he regarded his sister.

"What is it, Linnie?"

Emmett Lockhart was, doubtlessly, a handsome man. His neatly-cropped hair was jet-black, a trait he had received from his late mother. His eyes were an emerald green inherited from his father. He was tall and well-built, and his long legs and strong arms rendered him excellent at dancing. At twenty and three he was earl to a large estate, and his riches combined with his appearance meant that he never had to worry over a lack of female attention.

"Before you go," Emmeline Lockhart panted, exhausted by the exertion of picking up her skirts and running across the courtyard to chase after her brother, all the while clutching onto the parcel she just had to deliver, "take this." She stuffed the square box (with a length half the length of a horse's head) wrapped in brown paper into Emmett's hand. Normally she would never have run the way she had, but judging from the wide distance between her and her twin coupled with the waiting carriage, she had no choice if she wanted to reach him in time.

Her brother accepted the box with a wry smile, but regarded it with a curious lift of his brow. "What is this, dear sister?"

"Just something for the road – something to eat in case you get hungry," she said, still breathless. "It... I made it myself."

"I appreciate the sentiment. I'm certain I will enjoy it." Emmett's smile stretched into a grin. "I will add, however, that I shall feel thoroughly let down if it isn't a slice of your wonderful blueberry pie."

Emmeline smiled shyly. "I suppose you shall just have to see it for yourself."

"Take care, Linnie," he said, his gaze soft upon his dearest relative in the world. "I know I will miss you most terribly, but know that I shan't be gone long – I promise I will be back not more than a fortnight from now."

"You have nothing to worry about," she assured him as she dropped into a deep curtsey. Although she was close with Emmett, she was taught in her most formative years by her strict governess to have a strong sense of propriety. She was not a lady by nature, one could say, but she would often hear Miss Paltrow's shrill voice by her ear reminding her sharply that she was a young lady, daughter of a duke, and should behave as such. "Stay safe, Emmett."

"Oh, let's not have any of this nonsense today. I imagine I will be sick with all this decorum when I am with Father in London for two weeks," he said with a light laugh. "Come here, dearest, and hug me goodbye."

When the siblings were alone with each other the titles of Lady and Earl often fell away together with the rest of the frivolities of high society, and Emmeline was more than glad to comply. The siblings briefly exchanged a tight embrace before Emmett dropped a kiss on her forehead and sighed regretfully. "I really must be on my way now. Ridiculous as it is at such short notice, Father expects me in London by luncheon tomorrow."

The girl's emerald eyes sparkled as she smiled somewhat teasingly at her brother. "Well then, Godspeed, and send Father all my love."

"I shall," he promised, reaching out to grasp her hand and squeezing it once. "Please make sure the dogs do not starve in my absence. I have instructed John to feed them every day, but I would be greatly reassured if my dearest sister herself could make sure John has fed them by supper."

She smiled, a trace of wickedness flashing past her eyes. "Of course."

"Don't you dare spoil them whilst I am away," he said. Although he meant to be stern with his sister, who liked to feed the sled dogs more than they should have to eat and make them too fat to be sled dogs just because food made them "so happy", he couldn't keep the grin from breaking out across his face.